Fearless Forecaster just can’t seem to come up with that one big week to get over the hump.
Another slumbering effort — 14-5 — leaves our picker at 87-26 on the season (77 percent) as he just can’t mount that hot streak to move toward his coveted 80 percent goal.
Two losses in area games, where our picker had been very good, didn’t help. He picked Moundridge to win and Hesston to lose and misfired on both. In the KCAC, normally sure-fire pick Tabor lost while another surprise came when Southwestern hit on a 50-yard field goal with 2 seconds left to knock off previously undefeated Avila.
And FF gave Kansas State coach Bill Moses Snyder another chance and had he started Skylar Thompson at quarterback, the Wildcats probably would have knocked off Texas.
• AVCTL D-III •
• McPherson 55, Augusta 6 — The only questions are how early does coach Pav call off the dogs and when does the game get into running clock. Fearless is banking on the Bullpups being able to deal with the weather conditions.
• Buhler 35, Circle 6 — When’s the last time the Crusaders lost three in a row? Not going to happen Friday.
• Winfield 21, El Dorado 14 — This should be a really good game. Winfield gets back to .500 with a win.
• Last week — 3-0. Season — 17-4.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Moundridge 52, St. John 6 — The Wildcats even their record at 3-3.
• Little River 38, Macksville 26 — All signs point toward Little River finishing at 7-1 for the regular season.
• Inman 40, Sublette 14 — Matt Ramey has turned into one of the best backs in this part of the state and he should go for big yards as the Teutons climb to 4-2.
• Canton-Galva 52, Goessel 26 — Five straight wins for the rampaging Eagles.
• Smoky Valley 21, Chapman 8 — Battle of the unbeatens goes Smoky’s way.
• Hesston 44, Rock Creek 22 — The Swathers unlocked the key last week as the offense returned to its old form.
• Last week — 4-2. Season — 23-5.
• KCAC •
• McPherson College 44, Bethel 35 — Bethel’s flexbone offense will take some getting used to and don’t be surprised if the Threshers run for 300 yards. This is a game the Bulldogs can’t afford to lose as they have to beat the teams below them for a winning season.
• Bethany 42, Friends 31 — If the Swedes only had a defense to go with their high-scoring offense.
• Kansas Wesleyan 66, Saint Mary 21 — The Coyotes continue their march toward a perfect regular season.
• Tabor 28, Southwestern 24 — Tabor was blown out last week by Ottawa, which stunned everybody, but Fearless just can’t pull the trigger on the Bluejays losing back-to-back games.
• Sterling 42, Ottawa 38 — Maybe a letdown for Ottawa after beating Tabor. Also, Sterling is in desperation mode.
Avila is open.
• Last week — 3-2. Season — 19-7.
• BIG 12 •
• Oklahoma 42, Texas 27 — The Sooners are still the class of the Big 12.
• West Virginia 69, Kansas 21 — Will Grier could throw for 700 yards against the defenseless KU secondary. No need to even run the ball when you can get 10 or 20 on every pass play.
• Kansas State 31, Baylor 28 — If the Wildcats lose this one, chances of a bowl game start to become slim.
• Oklahoma State 34, Iowa State 31 — Iowa State is playing everybody close, but not winning many games.
Texas Tech and TCU are open.
• Last week — 3-2. Season — 28-10.