Fearless Forecaster’s chest was puffed out like a peacock.
Fearless had just finished Friday’s games with a 9-0 record, going 3-0 in AVCTL Division III and 6-0 in the area games as all of our teams were successful.
But then came Black Saturday.
Never, ever had Fearless crashed and burned like this. In his somewhat illustrious 40-year career, our picker had never been sub-.500 combined in the KCAC and Big 12 games.
Fearless was just 1-4 in the KCAC and 1-3 in the Big 12, losing many of those games by a scant field goal.
Our picker has stumbled to 98-33 for 75 percent as his dream of his coveted 80 percent for the season is slipping away.
In the KCAC, Fearless picked both local schools, McPherson College and Bethany, as they were playing winless teams. But the Bulldogs and Swedes proved to be the remedy those teams needed.
He also missed on Tabor and Sterling, as those two teams have constantly let him down all year. They were picked as the KCAC's top two teams, but Tabor is under .500 and Sterling is at .500.
In the Big 12, it's not often that Oklahoma loses, while Kansas State muffed a potential win against Baylor. Also, Iowa State went into Stillwater and stunned Oklahoma State.
Fearless needs a couple of monster weeks to restore what's left of his reputation.
• AVTCL D-III •
• McPherson 56, Rose Hill 7 — Another yawner.
• Hays 28, Buhler 21 — A game that doesn't help the Crusaders from a seeding standpoint.
• Wellington 35, Winfield 14 — This should tell us a lot about Wellington.
• Abilene 21, Augusta 14 — The Bullpups have seen both teams this year and both have fallen off tremendously.
• Mulvane 34, El Dorado 14 — The Wildcats are a team McPherson High is keeping a close eye on as they could very well meet in postseason play.
• Circle 20, Independence 8 — Could it be? Two wins in one year for the T-Birds?
• Last week — 3-0. Season — 20-4.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Central Plains 52, Moundridge 7 — Central Plains is doing this to everybody.
• Little River 50, St. John 0 — Another game over by halftime.
• Inman 38, Meade 34 — Playing teams like Trinity Catholic and Ell-Saline helps the Teutons prepare for a team like the Buffaloes.
• Hesston 35, Chapman 28 — The Swathers, just as they've done in recent years, are charging down the home stretch.
• Smoky Valley 28, Halstead 12 — The Vikings continue their pursuit of a perfect regular season.
• Solomon 48, Canton-Galva 44 — The Gorillas' experience ends the Eagles' winning streak at five.
• Last week — 6-0. Season — 29-5.
• KCAC •
• Ottawa 58, McPherson College 41 — The Bulldogs' defense is just not the same on the road as it is at home.
• Sterling 45, Bethany 42 — Fearless almost went with the Swedes in this one. At some point the Bethany defense will rise up. It's homecoming and Bethany might just pull a stunner.
• Avila 61, Friends 14 — The Eagles have had a week off and will come out smoking as they continue to chase after Kansas Wesleyan.
• Kansas Wesleyan 42, Tabor 14 — Is it really possible Tabor will be 2-4 after this week?
• Bethel 38, Saint Mary 24 — The Threshers enjoyed their first win so much last week they're going to do it again. That flexbone is tough to stop.
• Last week — 1-4. Season — 20-11.
• BIG 12 •
• TCU 38, Texas Tech 35 — The Horned Frogs will slow down the Red Raiders, if giving up 35 points is slowing a team down.
• West Virginia 31, Iowa State 28 — Danger zone for West Virginia. Fearless had Iowa State, then scratched it out.
• Texas 42, Baylor 28 — Texas is back in the national spotlight.
• Kansas State 31, Oklahoma State 28 — The Wildcats had a players-only meeting. The Wildcats' bowl hopes probably hinge on this game.
KU and Oklahoma are off.
• Last week — 1-3. Season — 29-13.