Central Christian College’s baseball team should have good numbers for the upcoming season as second-year coach Derk Kramer has announced that he’s signed a 20-member recruiting class, which consists of 16 freshmen and four transfers.
Kramer is expecting 21 players from last year’s team to return this fall.
"Our coaching staff has worked hard throughout the past year recruiting and these 20 guys are the fruit of their labor,” Kramer said in a press release. “There are some talented kids in this class. Some will take a couple of years to develop, but there are a few who will compete for a starting spot right away."
Here’s a thumbnail sketch of the newcomers, according to Kramer:
• Graham Greenbeck — Infielder from Scottsdale, Ariz. Previously attended Chaparral High School. Was a regular varsity starter for a team that went 18-12. His line was .273 average / .333 OBP/ .918 FPCT ... 6-0, 145... a player with good upside who we look forward to developing toward his full athletic potential.
• Jaime Romeu — Outfielder from Cidra, Puerto Rico. Previously attended Prince George's Community College. 5-9, 160 ... a speedy outfielder expected to be in close competition for a top outfield spot.
• Mario Rivera — Middle infielder from Naranjito, Puerto Rico. Previously attended Prince George's Community College... a batting line of .348 average/ .434 OBP/ .985 FPCT... a proven college athlete with great qualities both athletically and academically. A high-quality addition to the program in many ways.
• Nate Patterson — Outfielder from Mesa, Ariz. Previously attended Mountain View High School. Hit .312 average/ .385 OBP/ 1.000 FPCT on a team that went 20-9... another young player with tools. Could develop into a solid outfield option early in his college career at Central.
• Will Wild — Outfielder from Victoria, British Columbia. Previously attended TCS Postgrad Academy. 5-9, 165… a hard-working player with some college level experience to build from.
• Cody Kesler — Pitcher from Mesquite, Texas. Previously attended TCS Postgrad Academy. 5-10, 160… a nice addition that will add some depth to the Central Christian pitching staff.
• Trey Green — Outfielder/pitcher from Hughesville, Mo. Previously attended Northwest High School. Part of three district champion teams and is coming off a Final Four appearance in the state of Missouri. Great team guy that has a chance to contribute as a dual-position player.
• Kelby Landon — Catcher from Grantsville, Utah. Previously attended Utah State University Eastern. 6-1, 200… Brings maturity and college level experience to the program. A projectable candidate likely to shoulder a majority of the catching duties in '15-'16.
• Andrew Dory — Utility player from Wichita. Previously attended Wichita East High School. 5-10, 215… Primarily a first baseman, but also has potential to contribute in other capacities as well.
• Jarret Flores — Middle infielder/pitcher from San Antonio, Texas. Previously attended Cornerstone Christian School. 5-11, 175… Defensively talented and versatile. An exciting young player to have in the program.
• Chris Saenz — Outfielder from San Antonio, Texas. Previously attended Cornerstone Christian School. A scrappy player highly motivated to be the best he can be at the college level. A welcome addition to the program.
• Nathan Rejino — Second baseman from Muleshoe, Texas. Previously attended Muleshoe High School. Hit for a .330 average on a Muleshoe playoff team. His solid defensive skills heighten his value to the Central Christian baseball program.
• Tanner Black — Utility player from Enid, Okla. Previously attended Enid High School. He is a high-energy guy with on-the-field versatility who is driven toward success. He was class valedictorian and intends to study education; Secondary, History and Government.
• Colten Weaver — Outfielder from Tonganoxie. Previously attended Tonganoxie High School. Another young player with the potential to develop. Brings depth to the outfield.
• Isaac Hill — Catcher from Wolfforth, Texas. Previously attended Freidnship High School. Coming from a solid high school program that finished 25-9 overall and 13-1 in district ('14-'15). Expected to compete for playing time behind the dish.
• Chandler Crawford — Outfielder from Beaumont, Texas. Graduated from Ozen High School. Crawford has the tools and athleticism that make him a player to look forward to seeing in action on the field. A welcome addition to the program.
• Andru Kemp — Outfielder from Cedar Park, Texas. Kemp is transferring to CCC from Brescia College where he redshirted last season. Attended Westwood High School. His senior season at Westwood he had a .500 average/ .660 OBP while only striking out once. Andru will add experience and depth to our outfield this year and we are glad to have him joining our program this year.
• Kenny Cordova- Third baseman/pitcher from Pleasanton, Texas. Previously attended Pleasanton High School. On the mound Cordova posted a 2.02 ERA in 55 innings, striking out 70 and holding hitters to a .168 average. At the plate he hit for a .406 average on the year in 75 plate appearances. A unanimous All-District selection in both his junior and senior seasons. Kenny will have the opportunity to contribute on both sides of the field for us.
• John Byers — Infielder from Italy, Texas. Previously attended Italy High School. His senior year Byers was first-team All-District third-baseman with a line of .455 average/ .532 OBP/ 24 RBIs. Byers is an exciting addition to the program.
• Troy Carrigan — Catcher from McKinney, Texas. Previously attended Gunter High School. Coming to Central from a high school program that finished 20-6 overall and 10-1 in district. Troy is expected to be in the mix for the catching position early on and it will be exciting to watch him develop within the program.