McPherson Country Club’s golfers can practically feel the McPherson Cup back in their possession.
Host MCC took a commanding lead over visiting Turkey Creek today during the first session of the 11th annual McPherson Cup, 10 1/2-5 1/2.
Turkey Creek has a 7-3 lead in the series, including a victory last year. But the Country Club played especially well in the low-ball format, winning 6 1/2 of the 8 possible points.
All MCC has to do on Sunday is win six points in the 16 singles matches to return the Cup to its mantle.
Here are Saturday’s results. Alternate shot was played the first nine holes and low-ball (better ball) was played on the back. There are two points in each match.
• Tim Schmidt-Russ Hefner (MCC) def. Kurt Kinnamon-Steve Sell (TC), 1 1/2-1/2
• Mark Gayer-Cliff Hawkes (TC) def. Rick Davison-Bill Ferguson (MC), 2-0
• Jeff Warren-Ted Morris (MCC) def. Mark Wash-Zack Lock (TC), 2-0
• Eric VanCampen-Vaughan Burch (TC) drew with Leland DeWild-Ed Bate (MCC), 1-1
• Larry Bruce-Terry Malm (MCC) def. Jay Reissig-Kelly Blomberg (TC), 2-0
• Alan Porter-Kelly Sorenson (TC) def. Kenan Warren-Bryce Brewer (MCC), 1 1/2-1/2
• Tim Karstetter-Kenny Malm (MCC) def. Dennis Shaw-Tony Fawl (TC) 1 1/2-1/2
• Jim Adams-Larry Kavouras (MCC) def. Ziya Gunay-Jerry Grant (TC), 2-0