After McPherson High’s 14-7 upset of Salina South last Friday, Fearless Forecaster heard it from both barrels since he had picked the Bullpups to lose, 35-14.
At least Fearless can’t be accused of being a homer.
His contention was that South had 25 seniors back from a team that doubled the Bullpups 62-31 last year, while MHS had to replace nearly its entire starting team.
All the power rankings had pointed toward a South victory, but the Bullpups played a near-perfect game.
Of course this week, the Bullpups take on defending Class 4A Division II champion Andale, a team he predicted before the season that MHS would lose to.
However, the last time I saw Fearless around the office this week he had a big pitcher of Red Bullpup Kool-Aid sitting on the corner of his desk, so I had an inkling how he’s picked it.
Fearless was 15-6 last week, four of the losses coming in KCAC games. The only area misstep was Canton-Galva’s 22-18 loss to Central Christian, a game the Eagles led with just under a minute to go.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• McPherson 20, Andale 14 — The Indians have had their way with MHS the last couple of meetings. However, Andale has a new cast of starters and its roster consists of only nine seniors. The time is right for the Bullpups to snap their skid against Andale.
• Augusta 20, El Dorado 7 — A huge rivalry game. The Orioles had some younger players step up last week with key performances.
• Buhler 38, Mulvane 14 — The Crusaders were “held” to only 16 points last week. They’ll more than double that this week.
• Winfield 20, Rose Hill 6 — What has happened to Rose Hill? The Rockets were blasted 75-0 last week by Wichita Collegiate.
Last week — 5-1. Season — 5-1
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Moundridge 21, Ell-Saline 14 — Fearless also must be drinking some Moundridge Kool-Aid. Upset special of the week.
• Halstead 28, Hesston 21 – Game of the night. Fearless seldom picks against Hesston, but this is the Year of the Dragon.
• Peabody 26, Canton-Galva 14 — The Eagles fall to 0-2.
• Sterling 21, Smoky Valley 7 — The Vikings’ offensive woes may continue.
• Centre 20, Little River 12 — This looks to be a rebuilding year for the youthful Redskins.
• Bennington 30, Inman 14 — A brutal early season schedule for the Teutons.
Last week — 4-1. Season — 4-1
• KCAC •
• Langston 31, Bethany 27 – The Swedes face another top-notch opponent for the second week in a row. The Lions started the year ranked No. 18 in the country, only to lose.
• Southwest Baptist 24, Friends 14 — An 0-2 start for the Falcons.
Last week — 6-4. Season — 6-4.