It’s starting to become apparent that Fearless Forecaster’s better days may be behind him.
An 8-6 week — perhaps the worst in all his years of picking games that goes back to the days when Richard Nixon was president — is further proof that our picker is becoming too far removed from the game to be effective.
Fearless is now 32-15 on the season, barely past the 66-percent mark, after being near 80 percent much of his career.
Our picker has yet to hit correctly on McPherson High this season, but he said the Bullpups won’t let him down this week.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• McPherson 35, Rose Hill 7 — This is the week the Bullpups get back on track. Rose Hill’s roster has been decimated by attrition. It’s time for MHS to get physical and start dominating the line of scrimmage like it did the first week. Time to develop a nasty attitude.
• Buhler 28, Augusta 14 — The Orioles stunned everyone with how hard they played last week, but now they’re stepping into the big leagues.
• Winfield 20, El Dorado 7 — McPherson will be watching this game closely since it plays those two teams in the next two weeks, both on the road.
Last week — 2-1. Season — 10-3.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Inman 20, Remington 19 — The Teutons have been so close in all three of their losses. Time for them to get over the hump.
• Hesston 33, Lyons 14 – The Swathers improve to 3-1.
• Halstead 40, Smoky Valley 6 — The Vikings broke through last week, but Halstead has a good chance to be playing on the final Saturday of the season.
• Udall 36, Little River 26 – The Redskins have won two straight, but they step up in competition.
• Word of Life 56, Canton-Galva 48 — If the Eagles have only nine players as could be the case, depth will be a huge concern.
• Trinity 28, Moundridge 14 — The Wildcats are somewhat beat up. A full-strength Moundridge team would have swung this game in their favor.
Last week — 3-3. Season — 11-6.
• KCAC •
• Bethel 35, McPherson College 10 — The Bulldogs simply have no punch on offense, which leaves the defense on the field too long.
• Ottawa 31, Bethany 28 — Hard to believe both teams are still looking for their first win.
• Friends 17, Sterling 14 — Sterling has had Friends’ number in recent years, but the Falcons will prevail in a defensive slugfest.
• Tabor 38, Saint Mary 13 — From the media types in the know, Tabor is the team to beat.
• Kansas Wesleyan 41, Southwestern 17 — The Coyotes are for real.
Last week – 3-2. Season — 11-6.