The Ark Valley Chisholm Trail League is doing some major reshuffling for the next two years for football.
McPherson High is going to remain in Division III, but it will have seven schools instead of the six it now has. Next year’s Division III looks like this for football only — McPherson, Maize South, Andover Central, Winfield, Augusta, Buhler and Circle.
For all the other sports next year, Division III will include McPherson, Winfield, Augusta, Buhler, Circle and El Dorado. Circle is moving up from Division IV while Rose Hill drops down a rung from Division III.
“With the new 6A-5A football playoff format coming into play beginning next season, it made scheduling 4A schools difficult, because the last three weeks must be reserved for 4A district games,” MHS Athletic Director Shane Backhus said. “6A and 5A schedule eight games, then on Week 9 they all have a playoff game. It made sense to separate the 6A and 5A schools in Divisions I and II, and all 4A schools in Divisions III and IV. The only thing I was not in favor of is creating separate divisions for just football, I felt it should have been the same for all sports."
MHS football coach Jace Pavlovich will see his team play six league games now.
“I think overall it is good for us,” he said. “I would like to see Andover Central on our schedule next year instead of the Division 4 (cross divisional) game against Rose Hill. It is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes down tomorrow (Wednesday ) at the KSHSAA scheduling meeting. If we keep the same district, which is likely, then our schedule is set. If we change districts, that could affect our week 1-6 schedule quite a bit.”
Here are the divisions for just football:
• Division I — Derby, Campus, Hutchinson, Maize, Salina Central, Salina South
• Division II — Newton, Goddard Eisenhower, Valley Center, Arkansas City, Andover, Goddard
• Division III — McPherson, Maize South, Andover Central, Winfield, Augusta, Buhler, Circle.
• Division IV — El Dorado, Mulvane, Rose Hill, Wellington, Andale, Clearwater, Wichita Collegiate.
Here are the divisions for the other sports next year:
• Division I — Derby, Campus, Hutchinson, Maize, Newton, Salina Central, Salina South
• Division II — Goddard Eisenhower, Valley Center, Arkansas City, Andover, Goddard, Maize South, Andover Central.
• Division III — McPherson, Winfield, Augusta, Buhler, Circle, El Dorado
• Division IV — Mulvane, Rose Hill, Wellington, Andale, Clearwater, Wichita Collegiate