Fearless Forecaster continues the slow climb toward his coveted 80-percent mark.
Fearless’ second straight 12-2 week improved his season record to 56-19, or 75 percent. It’s going to take at least two or three more weeks like that before he’s going to feel good about himself.
Fearless’ misses last week came in Moundridge’s victory over Inman, while he also misfired on Bethany knocking off Saint Mary.
Moundridge coach Matt Cole pointed out to me Saturday that Fearless’ prediction went right to the Wildcats' bulletin board and I told him I would pass it along to our picker.
The Swedes appeared to be in jail in their game, down 16-0 in the third quarter, before storming back for an 18-16 victory.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• McPherson 27, Winfield 14 — The Bullpups are as close to 100 percent as they have been since the season opener against Salina South.
• Buhler 48, El Dorado 7 — Another cakewalk for the Crusaders.
• Augusta 38, Rose Hill 6 — The Orioles are barreling toward an improbable 8-1 season.
Last week — 4-0. Season — 17-3.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Sacred Heart 14, Inman 7 — Should be another close one for the Teutons, who took a couple of steps back last week with the loss to Moundridge.
• Moundridge 28, Medicine Lodge 14 — The Wildcats could get on a bit of a roll as the schedule has lightened up.
• Central Plains 52, Little River 6 — The Redskins are much improved, but Central Plains is in a class by itself in Division I.
• Solomon 56, Canton-Galva 12 — The Eagles are being held together by bandages.
• Hesston 21, Pratt 19 — Former Bethany College coach Jamie Cruce has done a great job at Pratt. This will be the Swathers’ toughest game since Week 2 when they played Halstead.
• Hoisington 35, Smoky Valley 7 — The Vikings would like to be the first team to defeat the Cardinals this year, but it's not going to happen.
Last week — 4-1. Season — 20-8.
• KCAC •
• Ottawa 42, McPherson College 14 — The Bulldogs could have scheduled an easier opponent for homecoming.
• Bethany 23, Sterling 21 — Just call it a hunch. Sterling doesn’t have the offensive firepower of recent years.
• Kansas Wesleyan 35, Friends 20 — There seems to be no slowing down the Coyotes.
• Tabor 49, Southwestern 7 — The Moundbuilders are in the midst of a tough stretch of games.
• Bethel 30, Saint Mary 27 — Toughest game of the week to pick. That Bethel running game is tough to stop. A definite contrast in styles as Saint Mary will throw it all over the place.
Last week — 4-1. Season — 19-8.