Cooler weather serves as reminder to service heaters

By Chris Swick
October 19, 2015

The cooler mornings may have you starting to think about clicking on the furnace, but McPherson County Extension Agent Jana McKinney cautions you to get your furnace checked out first.

“Because carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless gas that is in the air that can kill us,” McKinney said “And we have to be very careful with that. Each year we hear, this time of year, we hear of people turning their furnaces on, something isn't quite right and it puts you to sleep. And it can kill you and I would hate to have to have something like that happen in our community.”

The Centers for Disease Control recommends that, in addition to getting your furnace inspected every year, you install battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors near every sleeping area of your home and check them regularly to make sure they are working properly.


Close