HAYS — McPherson High’s cross country season ended Saturday despite the fact the majority of the Bullpups ran either personal- or season-best times.
That just showed the strength of the field as the Bullpup girls were sixth out of 16 schools while the boys took 10th. The Top 3 teams and Top 10 individuals advanced.
“We may not have qualified anyone for state, but we had 11 PRs out of our 14 runners,” MHS coach Gentry Nixon said. “They have been progressively getting better and better each meet and I am so proud that they finished their season the same way. They have each run with so much heart and guts. I could not have asked for a better team.”
MaryAnne Wurm led the girls by taking 20th, while Tyler Timson was the boys’ top finisher in 43rd place.
The results, with PR signifying a personal record and SB a season-best time:
Varsity Girls: 6th place
20. MaryAnne Wurm, 20:39.45 - PR
29. Katie Bahr, 21:02.90
44. Michelle Carrillo, 21:37.92 - PR
49. Hannah Hageman, 22:01.65 - PR
50. Maggie Leaf, 22:02.56 - PR
72. Katelyn Beam, 23:36.54 - PR
78. Kenzie Becker, 23:48.12 - PR
Varsity Boys: 10th place
43. Tyler Timson, 17:48.17 - PR
45. Paxton Leaf, 17:52.36 - PR
63. Isaiah Moyer, 18:22.79 - PR
66. Spencer Steinert, 18:26.69 - SB
68. Chris Kirchner, 18:29.70
71. Silas Steinert, 18:49.34 - PR
84. Tate Johnson, 19:23.11