Parents of McPherson High spring sports athletes are reminded about the Parents to Practice Day on Monday.
Parents are asked to attend their youth’s practice as coaches have special activities set up to make it a family affair. This is also a good chance for parents to become better acquainted with the coaches in a relaxed atmosphere and can ask questions about what the coaches anticipate for the upcoming season.
Here’s a breakdown:
• Baseball: Families of baseball players are invited to come observe practice from 4 to 6 p.m. At the field, parents will have opportunity to watch the boys practice and then be invited to participate in some baseball drills. Don't miss the final "team" competition for the players. Following practice, seniors will draw for the winners of the "Opportunity to Win" fundraiser and there will be a team cookout around 6:30 p.m. (This will also be the make-up date for the Red/White scrimmage if needed)
• Golf: Parents of golfers are invited to Turkey Creek Golf Course at 5:30 p.m. Coaches will introduce themselves and talk about the expectations of the MHS golf program. Following the coaches presentation, parents will be given the opportunity to take a short rules test developed by the KSHSAA, and have fun with their kids by challenging them in some putting and chipping games on the practice green. Bring your clubs!
• Girls Soccer: Parents of girls soccer players are invited to McPherson Stadium at 5:30 p.m. The soccer coaching staff will conduct a parent meeting to discuss team information and expectations. Following the meeting, parents will have the opportunity to take on their daughters on the field in a PK shootout! Break out those old soccer shoes!
• Softball: Parents of softball players are invited to Grant Sports Complex at 5:30 p.m. At the field parents will have the opportunity to watch the girls practice and then be invited to participate in the pre-game warm-up on the field by fielding some grounders, pop-ups or line drives. Or take a swing in the cage to see if you have the stuff your girls are made of. Bring your glove and borrow a bat if you feel you can take the heat! Following the activities, the coaching staff invites you to join them in the commons area at EES for pizza and pop as the seniors will conduct a short parent meeting. The whole family is welcome!
• Girls Swimming: Parents of girls on the swim team are invited to observe practice from 4:00-5:30 at the McPherson YMCA. We will be doing a practice swim meet where all athletes will compete in their top three individual events. Parents will be helping time their swimmer's races where the results will then be used as "Practice Records" for the girls to try and break throughout the season.
• Boys Tennis: Parents of the boys tennis team are invited to the MHS Tennis Courts at 5:30 p.m. for a brief meeting to talk about rules/expectations for the year. At the conclusion of the meeting you are welcome to stay to play mixed doubles with family and friends that night so bring those extra racquets if you want.
• Track and Field: Parents of track athletes are invited to McPherson Stadium for track athletes or the high school for throwers at 3:45 p.m. The coaching staff will conduct a time trials in which athletes will compete in their top event. Parents are encouraged to get involved with timing/measuring the events and those results will be used to set a standard for 2016 PRs of participants. A parent meeting will be held in the Little Theater at MHS at 6:30 p.m.