MOBILE, Ala. — Both McPherson College tennis teams and Bethany College’s men were eliminated from the NAIA National Tennis Tournament in first-round action on Wednesday.
The Mac men were defeated 5-0 by Warner (Fla.) University, while the women dropped a 5-1 decision to William Carey (Miss.) University. Their point came from the No. 3 doubles team of Nikki Thornburg and Madison Hoffman.
It was the third straight national trip for the Mac women, while the men were making their second appearance.
Here are the Bulldog results:
• MEN •
• SINGLES •
1. Rafael A. Coutinho (WU) def. Joan-Marc Fajula Rodriguez (MC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ahmed Lahlou (MC) vs. Francisco Perafan (WU) 4-6, 2-5, unfinished
3. Rafael E. Coutinho (WU) def. Hector Perales (MC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Hugo Ball-Greene (MC) vs. Rafael De Luz (WU) 6-1, 5-5, unfinished
5. Juan Alejandro Jimenez (MC) vs. Guillaume de Vauxcla (WU) 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
6. Timo Hoelzman (MC) vs. Renan Gambim (WU) 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
• DOUBLES •
1. Rafael A. Coutinho/Rafael E. Coutinho (WU) def. Joan-Marc Fajula Rodriguez/Hector Perales (MC) 8-4
2. Alejandro Herrera/Renan Gambim (WU) def. Ahmed Lahlou/Hugo Ball-Greene (MC) 8-3
3. Rafael De Luz/Guillaume de Vauxcla (WU) def. Leandro Neix/Timo Hoelzman (MC) 9-8
• WOMEN •
• SINGLES •
1. Daria Veretennikove (WCU) vs. Nikki Vorhees (MC) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
2. Nataliia Beliaeva (WCU) vs. Lea Striegel (MC) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
3. Sara V. Marin (WCU) def. Zoe Bouwmeester (MC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Gloria Kaufmann (WCU) def. Nikki Thornburg (MC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Mathilde Rinderknech (WCU) vs. Deiah Curtis (MC) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
6. Lorena Jimenez (WCU) def. Madison Hoffman (MC) 6-1, 6-0
• DOUBLES •
1. Daria Veretennikove/Nataliia Beliaeva (WCU) def. Lea Striegel/Zoe Bouwmeester (MC) 8-2
2. Sara V. Marin/Lorena Jimenez (WCU) def. Deiah Curtis/Nikki Vorhees (MC) 8-4
3. Nikki Thornburg/Madison Hoffman (MC) def. Gloria Kaufmann/Mathilde Rinderknech (WCU) 8-4
Bethany’s men put a great fight in its match with Westmont University of California, losing 5-4.
Bethany led 2-1 after the doubles play, but Westmont won four of the six singles matches.
Manuel Raga and Juan Mateus won a doubles match for the Swedes as did Conrad Mascarenhas and Guillermo Caro. Raga and Caro won singles matches.