Winfield’s quantity overcame McPherson’s quality in a dual swimming meet Tuesday night at McPherson Water Park.
“It was a solid first home meet for us,” Aqua Pups coach Kyle Banman said. “Unfortunately we didn't get the team win on points, but considering Winfield had 115 swimmers to our 58, the fact we were in the lead through the medley relays I thought was pretty amazing and speaks to the quality of the swims and swimmers that we have. This meet also featured Dawson VanGoethem and Will Powers earning "AAA" USA Swimming time cuts (faster than the Missouri Valley Championship cut) on their 50 free swims, which is a first for an Aqua Pup swimmer since I've been the head coach. That puts them both in the zone/sectional conversation, again at just our second meet,”
The younger swimmers also shined.
“I always like to congratulate our first-time competitors first and foremost. Well done to Clayton Hafenstine, Melody Kagle, Jordan Vanderhoof and Ally Soukup,” Banman said.
Here are the highlights, according to Banman:
• Danica Brunk (10 and under) - Champ qualifers in 50 free (improved from last year .5 sec to 37.60), and 50 fly (6.84 sec improvement to 42.97). She also finished 1st in all three of her races (50 free, 100 free and 50 fly)
• Hailey Cutting (13-14) - District qualifiers in 50 free (2.06 sec drop to 32.99, and finishing 2nd), and 100 back at a time of 1:31.27, taking 1st. This was her first meet in the 13-14 age group. She also took 2nd in the 100 fly.
• Megan Cutting (15 and over) - Improved her district time in the 100 breast to a 1:30.92. She also finished 1st in all three of her events (100 breast, 200 free and 200 IM).
• Hayden Farley (10 and under) - Backed up his 50 free district time from last summer, finishing 1st in the event at 41.97. He also finished 2nd in the 100 free and 50 breast.
• Liberty Hampton (10 and under) - Earned district in her 50 free with a time of 40.21 (a 7.67 drop), and took 2nd in the event.
*William Powers (13-14) - Improved his district times in the 200 free (5.23 cut to 2:24.74, and a 1st place finish), and 100 fly (1.27 to 1:20.35 and a 1st place finish). He also improved his championship time in 50 free by .74 to a 27.13, finished 2nd,and also earned a USA Swimming "AAA" time with that swim.
• Lexi Smith (10 and under) - Earned district in her 50 free with a 5.56 cut to 41.04, and finished 4th. Had 7.1 drop in the 100 free with 1:34.83 and a 2nd-place finish. She also took 1st in the 50 back.
• Aislyn Soukup (10 and under) - Earned her first long course district times in all three of her events. 50 free at 40.93 (3rd place), 100 free at 1:40.03 (4th place) and 50 breast at 54.85 (1st place).
• Amanda Starkel (15 and over) improved her 50 free district time to a 34.02 and finished 2nd in the event.
• Carson Stone (15 and over) earned a district time and took 2nd in the 50 free at 28.78.
• Rhys Vanderhoof (13-14) earned his first district time in the 13-14 age group on 50 free at 32.71 and he took 3rd in the event.
• Dawson VanGoethem (13-14) went 3 for 3 on championship times and 1st-place finishes. His 50 free was the fastest swim of the season in any age group at a time of 26.77, and was also a USA Swim "AAA" cut. His other champ qualifiers were the 100 free at 1:04.21 and the 100 breast at 1:27.14
• Jori VanGoethem (15 and over) improved on his district times on 50 free (.35 cut to 29.77, finishing 4th), and 100 breast (2.65 cut to 1:28.44, finishing 3rd).
• Rory Whorton (10 and under) - Backed up his 50 free district time with a 42.13 and took 2nd in the event.
*The 10 and under girls relay team of Liberty Hampton, Lexi Smith, Danica Brunk and Aislyn Soukup took 1st and earned a championship qualifier in their 200 free relay at a time of 2:44.73. They also took first in the medley relay at 3:16.53.
Other top finishers:
• Ellexis Duran (13-14) took 1st in all 3 of her races - 50 free, 100 free, 200 IM.
• Alex Houston (13-14) took 1st in the 100 back.
• Claire Schmidt (10 and under) in her first long course meet took 1st in the 50 breast, 2nd in the 50 free and 3rd in the 50 back.
• Kierstan Trost (11-12) took 1st in the 50 fly, and 2nd in both 50 free and 50 back.
• Maegan Vincent (13-14) took 2nd in both 100 back and 100 free and 3rd in the 50 free.
• Wesley Wurm took 1st in the 50 free and 50 fly and 4th in the 50 breast.
• Claera Williams took 1st in 50 free, 2nd in 50 back and 3rd in 100 free.
• Other Relay (200 Free and Medley) Winners •
• 9-10 Boys - Hayden and Eli Farley, Roary Whorton and Joey Miller - 1st in both free and medley.
• 11-12 Boys - Collin Reiman, Tyler Vincent, Myles Hubbardand Wesley Wurm - 1st in free.
• 13-14 Girls - Maegan Vincent, Ellexis Duran, Hope Williamsand Hailey Cutting - 1st in free and medley.
• 13-14 Boys - William Powers, Dawson VanGoethem, Rhys Vanderhoof and Alex Houston - 1st in free.