DERBY — The McPherson Aqua Pups performed to the best of their abilities on Tuesday against Derby, even if it didn’t translate into a swimming victory.
“We just simply fight our own numbers when it's a meet on the road it seems,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “For as dominant of swims that we had, especially with our relays, we still came up short on team points. I was still very impressed with what I saw out of the kids’ individual performances and how we did as a team, just wish we could have had a few more swimmers at this one.”
Here are Banman’s highlights:
• Danica Brunk (9-10) - went 3 for 3 on both best times and first-place finishes - 100 free, 60 back and 50 breast. She also added the 100 free to her Missouri Valley Championship qualifier collection by dropping 1.18 seconds to a 1:25.12.
• Haley Cutting (13-14) - finished with a pair of first places - 100 breast at 1:43.53 and 100 free at 1:17.61. She also took second in the 50 free, just behind...
• Ellexis Duran (13-14) who took first in the 50 free, as well as the 200 IM and then finished second in the 200 free (an 11.79 second improvement).
• Isaac Duran (15-18) finished first in the 50 free and broke into the 28s with a .74 cut to 28.64. He also took second in both 100 free and 100 breast.
• Macy Hubbard (15-18) took first in the 200 IM and also finished second in both the 50 free and 100 free.
• Myles Hubbard and Clayton Hafenstine finished first and second, respectively, in the 11-12 boys 100 free.
• Matthew Powers (13-14) went 3 for 3 on time cuts, and finished first in both 200 free (5.64 cut to 2:37.05), and 200 IM (9.28 cut to 3:00.16), and both swims were district times.
• William Powers (13-14) went 3 for 3 on both best times and first-place finishes - 100 fly (Champ qualifying time at 1:14.33), 100 free (Champ time at 1:03.12) and 400 free (District at 5:11.55).
• Rece Reiman (15-18) took first in the 100 back, second in the 50 fly (a 5.04 time drop to 1:30.02) and third in the 50 free.
• Aislyn Soukup (9-10) took second in all three of her events - 50 free, 50 back, 50 breast.
• Hannah Stecklein (15-18) finished first in the 200 free, second in the 100 breast and third on the 50 free.
• Silas Steinert (15-18) finished first in both the 200 free (a 23.83 cut to 2:36.68) and 200 IM. He also took second in the 100 back.
• Spencer Steinert (15-18) finished first in the 100 free and 400 free (6.03 cut to a 5:31.55). He also took third in the 100 back.
• Dawson VanGoethem (13-14) took first in the 50 free and 100 breast (and both were still in the Champ time range) and he also took second on the 100 free.
• Jori VanGoethem (15-18) finished first in the 100 breast, second in the 50 free and third in the 100 free.
• Maegan Vincent (13-14) took second on the 100 fly and 100 breast.
• Roary Whorton went 3 for 3 on best times and first-place finishes in his races - 50 fly, 100 free and 200 IM (an 11.17 cut).
• Relays •
Again, they were dominant. Our A relay squads took first in 11 of 14 relays across all entered age groups.
• 13 and over boys - Not only did the 13-14 and 15-18 boys relay teams win both of their relay events, the 13-14 boys would have came in second in both the 15-18 events.
• 15-18 boys relay team of Jori VanGoethem/Silas Steinert, Spencer Steinert/Simon Steinert, Rece Reiman and Isaac Duran finished first at free - 1:58.67. Medley - 2:36.44
• 13-14 boys relay team of Dawson VanGoethem/Collin Reiman, Rhys Vanderhoof, and Matthew and William Powers finished first in free at 1:59.12 and medley at 2:41.83
• 9-10 girls relay of Danica Brunk, Aislyn Soukup, Alyssa Harger and Bree Pickerell took first in both free and medley.
• 11-12 boys team of Tyler Vincent, Ethan Burger, Collin Reiman/Roary Whorton and Myles Hubbard took first in both free and medley.