Over half of all firework injuries in Kansas occur to children and teenagers. The McPherson Fire Department wants to remind you of some simple safety rules to help you and your loved ones enjoy this holiday weekend and avoid a trip to the emergency room.
1. Always purchase high-quality fireworks from reliable and legitimate sources.
2. Always ignite fireworks outdoors.
3. Light only one firework at a time.
4. Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
5. Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
6. Have an adult supervise all firework activities.
7. Never experiment or attempt to make your own fireworks.
8. Never give fireworks to small children.
9. Never throw fireworks at another person.
In addition, bottle rockets, M80 explosive firecrackers, and metal sparklers or other slow-burning hand-held fireworks are illegal within McPherson city limits. Bamboo sparklers are permitted, even though you can never write your name with them as well as the ones my generation always used.
Fireworks are permitted within McPherson city limits July 2 and July 3 from 10 am to 10:30 pm and July 4 until midnight.