The final results finally have been tabulated after some contested races and McPherson’s Aqua Pups came away with their first swimming win of the season when they defeated Wellington in the regular-season finale Tuesday at the McPherson Water Park.
“It was great to have so many swimmers and families out for this one, it really was a big celebration of all things McPherson swimming,” Aqua Pups coach Kyle Banman said. “I think it can sometimes be lost just how special these home meets are during the summer with over 50 kids competing like we had the other night, and then given that neither during our short course season, nor the high school seasons can we host a swim meet, it truly is quite the display for our team and our town. A huge congrats to Reese Elliott for taking part in her first swim meet. She finished third in the 100 free and was part of the 9-10 girls free relay that took first.”
The team competes this weekend in the Great Plains League meet.
Here are the other highlights as listed by Banman:
• Adelyn Barrow (8-and-under) won the 50 fly with a 12.25 second time drop. She also cut 22.8 on her 50 free.
• Danica Brunk (9-10) won all three of her races (50 back, 50 fly and 50 breast), and improved on her 50 fly championship time by 1.02 seconds.
• Hailey Cutting (13-14) won the 200 free and 100 breast. She also took second in the 50 free.
• Ellexis Duran (13-14) won all three of her events (50 free, 100 back, 200 IM).
• Isaac Duran (15 and over) won the 200 free and 50 free (*Contested result - place judge had second, but timer showed fastest time). He also took second in the 100 free.
• Hayden Farley (9-10) won all three of his events (50 free, 50 breast and 200 IM). He cut 25.59 on his 200 IM.
• Liberty Hampton (9-10) won the 50 free and 200 IM. She also took second in the 50 breast.
• Eston Monical (8-and-under) won the 50 free (a 7.12 improvement) and 100 free. He also took second in the 50 back.
• Matthew Powers (13-14) won all three of his events (200 free, 100 fly and 200 IM).
• Collin Reiman (11-12) won the 50 breast, he also took second in both the 50 back and 100 free (a 5.86 second improvement).
• Claire Schmidt (8-and-under) took first in 50 back and 50 breast (a 3.05 time drop) and second in the 50 free.
*Silas Steinert (15-and-over) took first in the 100 breast with 9.57 improvement (first time swimming it this summer).
• Spencer Steinert (15-and-over) took first in the 200 IM.
• Carson Stone (15 and over) took first in the 100 fly and 100 free and second in the 50 free (*Contested Result- Place judge had him winning, but timer showed slower than first).
• Maegan Vincent (13-14) won the 100 fly and 400 free. She also took third in the 50 free.
• Tyler Vincent (11-12) took first in the 50 fly and third on both 100 free and 50 breast.
• Roary Whorton (9-10) won the 50 fly and the 100 free (which was a district time and a 12.07 improvement).
• Claera Williams (8-and-under) won the 50 free, and took second on both 50 fly and 50 breast (a 4.91 time cut).
• Wesley Wurm (11-12) took first in all three of his races (50 free, 50 back and 100 free).
• RELAYS •
Of 14 entered events, there were relay winners in 11 of them. These are the ones that took first on both 200 free and medley:
• 8 and Under Girls - Claire Schmidt, Adelyn Barrow, Olivia Smolik and Claera Williams.
• 9-10 Girls - Liberty Hampton, Reese Elliott/Bree Pickerell, Aislyn Soukup and Danica Brunk.
• 9-10 Boys - Roary Whorton, Joey Miller, Eli Farley and Hayden Farley.
• 11-12 Boys - Collin Reiman, Connor Olson/Myles Hubbard, Tyler Vincent and Wesley Wurm
• 13-14 Girls - Hailey Cutting, Hope Williams, Maegan Vincent and Ellexis Duran.