EL DORADO — Nearly one-third of the McPherson Aqua Pups finished as a Top 8 individual point winner during the Great Plains Swim League Championships on Saturday.
“It was long, hot weekend, but the kids swam wonderfully,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “We finished fifth out of the eight teams in the league and we had the most Top 8 individual high point award winners that we've ever had. Eleven out of the 38 swimmers we had compete placed in the Top 8 in their respective age groups, three of which were first place.”
Here are the highlights as reported by Banman:
• Clarea Williams tied for first in the 8-and-under girls group. She won the 50 free (.84 cut to 47.43), 100 free (a 15.07 second cut to 1:46.97) and took second in the 50 fly (2.32 cut to 1:05.82). What's more, as an 8-year-old she was an age-up member of the 9-10 girls relay team that won both medley and free.
• Danica Brunk won the 9-10 girls group by taking first in the 50 free (Champ and A time 1.44 cut to 36.16), 50 fly (Champ and BB time at 41.61) and 100 free (5.14 second cut, and Champ and A time at 1:19.98).
• William Powers took the crown for the 13-14 boys with three first-place finishes: 50 free (hitting Zone/AAA and Champ time again at 26.91), 100 back (Championship time at 1:10.11, a 4.38 improvement) and 100 free (Championship and AA time at 1:01.01).
• Liberty Hampton (9-10 girls) finished fifth in her age group taking second in the 50 back (district and BB time at 48.10), fourth in the 100 free (district and B time at 1:34.96), and fifth on 200 IM (B time at 3:57.30).
• Roary Whorton (9-10 boys) took sixth with a pair of fourth-place finishes in 50 back (a 4.88 cut and District and B time at 52.47) and 50 fly (1:02.15). He also took fifth on the 200 IM (10.4 second cut at 4:23.59).
• Eston Monical (8-and-under boys) took fifth in his group by finishing fifth in the 50 free, second on the 50 back and fourth on 50 breast (a 6.57 improvement).
• Matthew Powers (13-14 boys) took fifth in his group by finishing fourth in the 200 free (3.4 second drop to 2:33.65 and a district and BB time), third in the 100 fly (district time at 1:25.32) and first in the 200 IM (district time at 2:55.95). He went 3-for-3 on best times.
• Hayden Farley (9-10 boys) finished fifth overall in his group by taking third in the 50 free, second in the 100 free (a 9.62 improvement and district time) and sixth in the 50 breast.
• Aislyn Soukup (9-10 girls) finished eighth in her group by taking third in the 50 free, sixth in the 100 free (a 2.18 time cut and district time) and fourth in the 50 breast.
• Claire Schmidt (8-and-under girls) finished third by winning the 50 back with a 5.60 time drop, as well as the 50 breast. She also took third on the 50 free.
• Ellexis Duran (13-14 girls) tied for seventh in her group with a second-place finish in the 50 free, as well as a pair of fourth-place finishes in 100 free and 200 IM.
• Top Relay Finishes •
• The 9-10 girls relay of Clarea Williams, Aislyn Soukup, Danica Brunk and Liberty Hampton won both the free (backing up their championship qualifying time at 2:45.67) and medley.
• 13-14 girls team of Hailey Cutting, Hope Williams, Maegan Vincent and Ellexis Duran took second in the 200 free.
• 15-and-over boys team of Carson Stone, Spencer Steinert, Isaac Duran and William Powers took fourth in the 200 free with a time of 1:56.88.
• More Highlights •
• Kierstan Trost, Zoey Whorton and Audrey Bailey (11-12 girls) all hit USA B times in the 50 free.
• Hailey Cutting finished fourth in both 200 free and 100 breast. The 200 free was a B time at 2:49.38.
• Bree Pickerell had an outstanding meet going 3-for-3 on time drops, hitting under 50 for the first time in 50 free at 48.71. She also cut 6.57 on her 100 free to 1:51.99.
• Collin Reiman broke under-40 for the first time on his 50 free with a 4.18 cut to 39.95.
• Simon Steinert cut 4.69 in his 200 free to 2:47.43.
• Spencer Steinert cut 10.93 in the 400 free to 5:18.04 and a fourth-place finish. He also added a district time on 100 free with 1.35 drop to 1:05.37.
• Silas Steinert cut 2.02 on 200 IM to 2:52.98 and took fifth in the event.
• Maegan Vincent finished sixth in the 50 free and hit a district time at 34.12.
The district meet is scheduled for July 22-24 in Wichita. The Missouri Valley Long Course Championships will be July 29-31 in Lawrence.