WICHITA — McPherson Aqua Pups coach Kyle Banman was full of praise after his team competed in the district meet this weekend.
“It was a great weekend at districts at the Wichita Swim Club,” he said. “This was the last primer for, as well as the last chance to get in on, the Missouri Valley Swimming Long Course Championships next weekend in Lawrence. Though we didn’t have any new qualifiers, the team swam well. For those whose last meet it was for the summer, they held nothing back and competed hard.”
Here are the highlights, in Banman’s words:
• Hailey Cutting - dropped 2.17 on her 100 fly time and earned district at 1:33.40.
• Ellexis Duran - cut 1.67 in 100 free and added that to her district times at 1:14.81.
• Isaac Duran - dropped 2.51 in the 100 back to 1:24.89.
• Matthew Powers - took seventh overall at 1:21.76 (a 3.56 improvement) in his 100 fly. He also dropped 1.87 to 1:33.01 in the 100 breast.
• William Powers - took first in both of his events and earned championship times on them as well. 100 breast was a 3.32 second improvement to 1:25.05 and the 200 free was an 8.4 drop to 2:16.34.
• Silas Steinert - swam the 200 back for the first time in a year-and-a-half and was within 2 seconds of a district cut.
• Spencer Steinert - This was his farewell meet with the Aqua Pups and he capped things off in style by cutting time in all four of his events. He dropped 6.35 on his 400 free time to 5:11.69 and finished eighth in the event, then took off 2.19 on his 100 free time to 1:03.18 and finished eighth on that as well. A job very well done indeed Spencer!
• Rhys Vanderhoof - cut 4.97 in the 100 breast to 1:39.02 and earned a district time on his 100 back at 1:27.50.
• Dawson VanGoethem - Dropped 15.43 on his 200 IM and claimed a district cut at 2:50.19, finishing seventh in the event. He also took sixth in the 200 free at a time of 2:29.45.
• Jori VanGoethem - Cut 19.19 on his 200 free to a 2:40.32 and also took 5.59 off his 100 back to a 1:24.47.
• Maegan Vincent - dropped 1.24 on her 100 breast time to 1:47.56.
• Roary Whorton - took sixth in the 50 free with his first sub-40 time at 39.15, a 2.62 drop. He also took off 3.8 on the 100 free to 1:30.26, and 2.15 off his 50 fly to 59.54.