The Big 12 saved face for Fearless Forecaster last week.
By going 7-1 in those games (the only loss by Texas against Cal), Fearless escaped Week 3 with a 16-7 record, still not up to his past form. For the season FF is 55-22 for just 71 percent as he's looking for that one huge week to move his mark closer to his coveted 80-percent goal.
Fearless missed on Buhler's stunning loss to Wichita Collegiate as well as Andover Central losing to McPherson High district foe Abilene, which definitely caught the eye of the MHS coaching staff.
Fearless took a flyer on Canton-Galva, but the Eagles lost to Peabody. And he simply can't figure out Little River as he picked the Redskins to win on Friday, only to lose.
In the KCAC, it was stunning that No. 10-ranked Kansas Wesleyan was routed by Sterling, while Bethel's domination of Bethany also caused Fearless to scratch his head.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• McPherson 21, Augusta 14 — This promises to be a defensive slugfest. It's hard to believe that Augusta can win two straight years at McPherson Stadium in what is a quirk of the schedule.
• Buhler 28, Maize South 21 — The angry Crusaders will hand Maize South its first loss of the year.
• Andover 13, Andover Central 12 — The battle of Andover will be a close one. Andover Central's starting QB is out, which won't help the Jaguars' cause.
• Circle 26, Coffeyville 20 — The T-Birds can win their second game, which is two more wins than they had last year.
• Last week — 3-2. Season — 9-4.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Sterling 20, Moundridge 7 — Putting points on the board continues to be a problem for the Wildcats.
• Ell-Saline 35, Inman 6 — Injuries are decimating the Teutons.
• Solomon 48, Little River 22 — The Redskins have been giving up too many points for coach Paul Dold's liking.
• Hesston 35, Nickerson 14 — Hesston climbs back to .500.
• Wakefield 42, Canton-Galva 18 — The Eagles need to find a way to run the ball.
• Smoky Valley 27, Hillsboro 14 — The Vikings better last year's victory total with their third win.
• Last week — 4-2. Season — 12-6.
• KCAC •
• McPherson College 30, Bethel 27 — Now comes the big question — can McPherson College handle success after last week's emotional victory?
• Ottawa 38, Bethany 20 — No way Ottawa is going to start the year 0-4.
• Kansas Wesleyan 37, Southwestern 27 – What once looked to be a rout on paper is going to be close on the field. Southwestern is much improved.
• Tabor 47, Saint Mary 34 — Pack a lunch. This could be an all-day affair.
• Sterling 35, Friends 17 — Sterling will have a big letdown, but not enough for Friends to pull an upset.
• Last week — 2-2. Season — 13-6.
• BIG 12 •
• Baylor 52, Oklahoma State 45 — Both offenses might be panting by the end of this one.
• Kansas State 52, Missouri State 14 — Another steamroller for the Wildcats.
• TCU 41, SMU 24 — Still not sure what to make of the Horned Frogs.
• Iowa State 30, San Jose State 27 — Iowa State is 3-0 lifetime against San Jose State. It will be 4-0 after Saturday, but just barely.
• BYU 38, West Virginia 34 — Upset special. West Virgina's defense leaks a lot of oil.
Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are all idle.
• Last week — 7-1. Season — 21-6.