WICHITA — The McPherson Aqua Pups kicked off their short-course swimming season by competing in the “Battle in ICT” meet over the weekend.
“It was great to get back to competition mode, I could tell the kids were ready to get back to racing and they swam very well,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “This one was even more special as it was the first meet they've done at this time of the season and the kids had a shot at winning a high point award for their age group (which one did, Danica Brunk). We had a pair of our new swimmers make their meet debuts: a job very well done to Isaiah Kessler and Hazel Wuertz - Isaiah took 6th on the 9-year-old 50 breast and Hazel finished 4th on the 8-and -under 25 free.”
Banman said Taiya Young achieved her first-ever qualifying time in her 50 breast at 54.57 and she took 3rd in the 10-year-old 50 free at a time of 40.5.
Other highlights, according to Banman:
• Adelyn Barrow took 2nd in the 25 fly and 3rd in the 25 free in the 8-and-under category.
• Danica Brunk had an amazing last meet as a 10-year-old finishing 1st in 7 of her 9 events - 50 free, fly, breast and 100 breast, IM, free, back - with a pair of 2nd-place finishes in the 200 free and 50 back, which earned her the High Point award winner for 10-year-old girls in the meet. She cut time on all of her events and added short course Championship times in 100 IM, 100 back, 100 free and 100 breast; she'll finish the 9-10 age group with 6 Champ times.
• Matthew Powers won the 13-year-old 50 free at a time of 26.49 (a 1.38 improvement). He also took 2nd in the 100 Free, 200 Fly (a 19.62 improvement at 2:40.15 and a District time), 100 back and 200 breast (also a District time at 2:49.60).
• William Powers won the 14-year-old 100 free (short course Zone time at 51.72), 100 back, 50 free (short course Zone time at 23.7), and 100 fly (a 6.84 improvement and Champ time). He also took 2nd in the 200 Free and 3rd on the 100 breast.
• Kierstan Trost went 4 for 4 on best times, and earned her first 11-12 year old District times with a 33.36 time on 50 free, and 40.40 on 50 back. She also finished 4th in 50 fly for 12-year-olds.
• Roary Whorton went 4 for 4 on best times, earning District qualifiers in 50 free (34.33, a 13.15 improvement) and 50 back (45.83, a 7.18 improvement). He also dropped 17.75 on his 50 fly.
• Zoey Whorton went 4 for 4 on best times, earning her first 11-12 year old District time with a 33.4 in her 50 free (a 6.02 improvement). She also took 4th in the 12-year-old 50 breast at a time of 49.41 (a 12.87 improvement), and 6th on the 50 fly at 44.75 (a 3.88 time drop).
• Clay Wilson took 3rd in the 8-and-under 50 back, he also dropped 4.21 on his 25 back, and 5.28 in his 25 free.
• And a special shout out to McPherson swimmers with the Wichita Aqua Shocks - Hailey and Megan Cutting, for some great swims. Megan took 3rd in the 16-year-old 100 fly, and a pair of 4ths in the 200 IM and 200 breast. Hailey dropped 16.03 in the 200 IM and took 4th in that event as well as the 100 fly and 200 free for 13-year-olds.