MANHATTAN — The McPherson Aqua Pups’ youth swimming team competed Tuesday in the Manhattan Marlins’ “Monster Splash.”
“Though the meet moved quickly at times and the kids sometimes didn't get much of a break between races, they still stepped up nicely,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “And what's really unique about this meet is that it's the only one that we will attend that is mixed. The boys and girls get to compete in the same heats, though it's still awarded out separately. Then with that we also were able to have mixed relays, with boys and girls on the same relay team.”
Here are the highlights in Banman’s words, with ages in parentheses:
• Danica Brunk (11) dropped 2/3 of a second in her 100 free to 1:10.55 and took 8th in the event.
• Matthew Powers (13) cracked the 1-minute mark on the 100 free with a 1.11 cut to 59.7, which was good for 4th overall. In the 100 breast he dropped 8.13 to 1:17.87 and a 3rd-place finish. He also took 2nd on the 200 fly at a time of 2:42.53, 4th in the 100 fly at 1:10.82 and 4th in the 200 breast at 2:51.96.
• Rhys Vanderhoof (13) finished 7th in the 100 fly in a time of 1:21.49 and 8th on the 200 breast at 3:14.44
• Roary Whorton (10) took 5th on the 50 free at 35.62 and 8th on the 100 free at 1:24.75. He also added another district qualifier with his 50 fly swim at 49.44
• Amanda Starkel (17) picked up a new district time in the short course 100 breast at 1:30.60
• Zoey Whorton (12) picked up district times in 50 back, then in 50 free in the 13-14 age group (which she'll be entering this week) with her relay lead off split of 32.86
• The mixed relay team of Hope Williams, Rhys Vanderhoof, Matthew Powers and Ethan Burger took 2nd in the 200 medley in a time of 2:24.38.
• The mixed relay team of Zoey Whorton, Roary Whorton, Taiya Young and Danica Brunk took 4th at a time of 2:19.39.