Fearless Forecaster was back on the beam last week with an 18-3 record and had he picked his upset special as he had planned, he would have been even better.
Fearless originally turned in Oklahoma State to defeat West Virginia as his upset special, but then scratched the Cowboys. Of course, they handed the Mountaineers their first loss.
FF also missed on Texas against Baylor as the Longhorns perhaps saved Charlie Strong’s job for another week. Had Baylor put a hurting on the ‘Horns, Strong could very well have been out the door.
Fearless’ other loss came in the area as he picked against the Smoky Valley Vikings, who won in overtime over Clay Center. Going into the game, Fearless thought the Tigers would win because they had beaten Rock Creek 45-0 while the Vikings escaped the Mustangs with a 36-29 triumph.
Fearless is now 154-44 on the year for 78 percent.
• AVCTL D-III •
• McPherson 28, Andale 21 — Andale has been in MHS’ head the past couple of meetings, but the Bullpups are playing at such a high level. They are having an historic year defensively, but that unit may face the most explosive team it has faced all year.
• Buhler 42, Abilene 28 — The passing of Ryan Wilson gives Abilene a puncher’s chance.
• Mulvane 28, Augusta 25 — FF just can’t quite figure out Augusta. The team that played McPherson didn’t look like a playoff team, but the Bullpups were at a different level that night.
• Maize South 21, Ulysses 6 — The McPherson-Andale winner will play the winner of this game. Maize South doesn’t do anything flashy, but has gotten the job done in eight of nine games so far.
• Last week — 5-0. Season — 36-8.
• AREA •
• Smoky Valley 21, Nickerson 14 — The Vikings’ wishbone is piling up big numbers. Mike Vernon, just as he did at Inman, is working wonders with Nickerson and will keep it close.
• Smith Center 42, Moundridge 7 — The Wildcats are thrilled to be in the playoffs. But their reward is to play a legendary program.
• Hesston 35, Douglass 28 — An offensive shootout is expected in this titanic struggle.
• Last week — 5-1. Season — 38-13.
• KCAC •
• Sterling College 63, McPherson College 42 — For fans of offensive football, Sterling is the place to be on Saturday.
• Tabor 42, Bethany 27 — The Swedes won’t be able to stop the physical Tabor running attack.
• Kansas Wesleyan 49, Ottawa 38 — The Coyotes seem to do just enough to get by lately.
• Saint Mary 31, Southwestern 10 — The Spires, after being humbled last week by Sterling, are back on the horse.
• Friends 28, Bethel 14 — After a nice start, Bethel has slumped. But it’s still capable as it nearly knocked off Kansas Wesleyan last week.
• Last week — 5-0. Season — 37-12.
• BIG 12 •
• Kansas State 27, Oklahoma State 24 — That Bill Snyder Family Stadium magic comes through again.
• West Virginia 56, Kansas 14 — The Jayhawks are basically jello on the road.
• Texas Tech 55, Texas 48 — The Red Raider football team scores as much as the men’s basketball team.
• Baylor 38, TCU 35 — It’s just not happening for TCU this year.
• Oklahoma 51, Iowa State 21 — Iowa State has pulled off some stunners at home on occasion, but no chance of that happening tonight.
• Last week — 3-2. Season — 43-11.