Maybe it’s a good thing that last week was Fearless Forecaster’s final picks of the season.
Fearless was a desultory 8-5 to finish his regular season with a 175-53 record for 77 percent as our longtime picker missed on his coveted 80-percent goal.
Fearless, of course, lost on McPherson High’s game with Andale. He also missed on three KCAC games — he picked Mac College to defeat Bethany (the Swedes won on the final play), Kansas Wesleyan’s shocking loss to Saint Mary that cost the Coyotes the KCAC title and trip to nationals and Friends outlasting Ottawa, the two teams that he struggled most with in the KCAC to pick.
In addition, Fearless’ upset special of Texas defeating West Virginia fell flat.
Fearless’ final season records were 41-9 in AVCTL Division III games, 43-13 in McPherson area games (I think he missed Little River four times), 43-16 in the balanced KCAC and 48-15 in the Big 12.
Fearless shut it down because there’s only one D-III game and one area game to pick and the KCAC regular season ended last week.
But he did share his thoughts on this week’s Big 12 games for one last time:
• Texas 44, Kansas 24 — The Jayhawks play much better at home, but it won’t make any difference.
• Kansas State 33, Baylor 31 — The Wildcats, to be honest, do not have a signature win this season. This would be one as Baylor has been in a deep funk.
• Texas Tech 48, Iowa State 45 — Don’t be surprised if this one goes the other way. Texas Tech isn’t good on the road.
• Oklahoma 37, West Virginia 28 — Tough way for the Sooners to end the season, playing at West Virginia, then hosting Oklahoma State. They’ll simply outscore these two teams.
• TCU 42, Oklahoma State 38 — TCU is refreshed after a week off. The Cowboys are coming off three straight taxing games.