HUTCHINSON — The McPherson Aqup Pups competed this past weekend in the Fall Swimming Classic and coach Kyle Banman noted the team “is starting to hit their stride.”
Here is his list of the top performances:
• Adelyn Barrow won the 8-and-under 25- and 50-yard butterfly at times of 24.03 and 51.75, respectively. She also took 2nd in the 100 back and 3rd in the 25 and 50 breast. She finished 2nd in high points for the age group.
• Claire Schmidt took 1st in the 100 breast in the 9-10 group, with a 3.78 cut to 1:51.23. She also dropped 2.74 in the 100 back to a 1:48.75 and another District time.
• Kierstan Trost dropped 3.87 in the 50 fly to 37.97 and a new District time.
• Rhys Vanderhoof took 3rd in the 100 back and 50 free in the 13-14 group, both of which were also District times. The 50 free was a 0.75 cut to 29.42 and 100 back was a 3.81 improvement to 1:16.88.
• Hazel Wuertz won the 8-and-under 50 free at a time of 48.77. She also took 3rd in the 100 back. She finished 3rd in high point for the age group.
• Wesley Wurm took 2nd in the 100 IM, 50 free and 50 back. He also earned District times in the free with a 8.91 drop to 31.39, and the back with a 1.78 drop to 40.11.
• Taiya Young dropped 1.43 in the 50 free to 38.9 and another District time, and she also tackled the 50 fly for the first time.
• The 12-and-under girls relay team of Kierstan Trost, Taiya Young, Claire Schmidt and Danica Brunk took 2nd in the 100 free and 3rd in the 100 medley.
The team has the Winter Qualifier in 2 weeks at Wichita.