SALINA — The McPherson Aquapups returned to the pool recently after more than a month off by competing in the Salina Melt Off Meet.
“This has always been one of my personal favorites to attend as we get a great turnout for it and it really becomes a bit like a home meet that we unfortunately don't have the ability to host during short course season,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “To expand on that, this has traditionally been where we have had most of our swimmers make their competition debuts, and this weekend was no exception. So a huge congratulations to Rachel Fischer, Bella Monical and Jentry Sears for swimming in their first-ever meet.”
Here are the highlights as listed by Banman:
• Wesley Wurm (12) won all three of his individual races—100 free (1:06.97), 50 fly (38.27) and 100 back (1:21.45), and earned district qualifying times in all three as well.
• Bree Pickerell (9) earned her first-ever district time in the 100 back at 1:45.85 and she finished 2nd in the race.
• Lexi Smith (11) dropped over 2 seconds and got another district time in her 100 free at 1:15.37.
• Kierstan Trost (12) took 1st in 50 back and 100 back, as well as claiming 3rd in the 50 fly, 100 free and 50 free.
• Matthew Powers (13) won all four of his individual races — 100 free (58.54), 100 fly (1:07.91), 200 IM (2:30.02) and 500 free (6:02.55).
• Danica Brunk (11) took 1st in the 100 Free (1:10.42), and 2nd in 100 back, 50 free, 50 back and 200 free.
• Rhys Vanderhoof (14) took C division 1st in the 200 IM at 2:43.35.
• Roary Whorton (10) took 1st in four of his six races — 100 free (1:16.56), 100 back (1:33.09), 50 free (34.05) and 200 free (2:57.97)
• Zoey Whorton (13) won the 100 back at 1:18.57.
• Relays •
• The boys 200 free relay team of Rhys Vanderhoof, Collin Reiman, Wesley Wurm and Matthew Powers took 1st in a time of 1:57.85.
• The 12-and-under girls 200 medley team of Kierstan Trost, Taiya Young, Danica Brunk and Claire Schmidt took 1st at a time of 2:48.54.