McPherson College’s men’s tennis team opened its KCAC season in style here Sunday with a 9-0 blanking of Southwestern.
“The guys were ready to play today," Mac coach Dustin Wheeler said. "They showed up, they held themselves accountable and they helped each other on every court. They played as a family and that's our goal every single match. When we don't play as a family, we struggle. We get hurt inside and that's when we don't play our best ball, so today we showed up, played as a family, played real well, and I think the 9-0 really shows it."
None of the matches were very close as the Bulldogs showed why they’re ranked No. 21 in the nation.
Mac goes to Oklahoma Wesleyan on Wednesday.
• Singles •
1. Joan-Marc Fajula (M) def. Franco Poi (S) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ahmed Lahlou (M) def. Javier Contreras (S) 6-0, 6-2
3. Hector Carrillo (M) def. Tomas Yacuzio (S) 6-2, 6-3
4. Nicolas Wahl (M) def. Sheldon Hawthorne (S) 6-3, 6-3
5. J.Alejandro Jimenez (M) def. Braden Baker (S) 6-1, 6-1
6. Timo Hoelzmann (M) def. Stephen Le (S) 6-3, 6-1
• Doubles •
1. Joan-Marc Fajula/Hector Carrillo (M) def. Javier Contreras/Braden Baker (S) 8-2
2. Ahmed Lahlou/Nicolas Wahl (M) def. Sheldon Hawthorne/Tomas Yacuzio (S) 8-4
3. Timo Hoelzmann/J.Alejandro Jimenez (MCPH) def. Stephen Le/Franco Poi (S) 8-4