In what could have been a matchup of the top two women’s tennis teams in the KCAC, McPherson College doubled up Southwestern 6-3 here Sunday in the Bulldogs’ conference opener.
Doubles keyed the win as the Bulldogs shot out of the blocks with a 3-0 record before the teams split the six singles matches.
"Southwestern has gotten better from last year," Mac coach Dustin Wheeler said. "They have a strong bottom half of their lineup and are very steady up front. We won the critical points, I think, and that's what helped us at the end of the matches. I have to give the girls a lot of credit. They showed a lot of grit, they took chances, they came forward and did some things they're not comfortable with all of the time. The ladies played like a family the way they usually do and, when you have that support, you usually come out on top. I really want to give (Madison) Hoffman and (Deiah) Curtis at No. 3 doubles a lot of credit. They came up with a big win for us, allowing us to sweep doubles. It made singles a lot easier.”
The Mac women, ranked No 21 in the country, play Wednesday at Oklahoma Wesleyan.
• Singles •
1. Brittany Zipf (M) def. Morgan Hughes (S) 6-2, 6-1
2. Olivia Medaris (S) def. Besa Bwalya (M) 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-7)
3. Zoe Bouwmeester (M) def. Sydney Shields (S) 6-2, 6-2
4. Lea Striegel (M) def. Anna Mankoski (S) 6-3, 6-2
5. Abbi Groff (S) def. Madison Hoffman (M) 7-5, 6-1
6. Jerlecia Thompson (S) def. Deiah Curtis (M) 6-3, 6-2
• Doubles •
1. Brittany Zipf/Besa Bwalya (M) def. Sydney Shields/Olivia Medaris (S) 8-2
2. Lea Striegel/Zoe Bouwmeester (M) def. Anna Mankoski/Morgan Hughes (S) 8-5
3. Madison Hoffman/Deiah Curtis (M) def. Sadie Pfau/Savannah Caro (S) 9-7