LINDSBORG — McPherson College’s men’s tennis team stopped Bethany College 5-0 on Tuesday to capture the KCAC championship after both teams had entered the day 7-0 in conference play.
That gives Mac a sweep of the regular-season titles as the women earlier won the championship, also with an 8-0 KCAC record.
Tuesday’s meet started in Lindsborg and was completed indoors at Salina due to rain. Once the Bulldogs had the victory clinched, the meet was shortened as the Bulldogs went 3-0 in doubles, then won the first two singles matches to clinch it.
While the Bulldogs blanked the Swedes, all the matches were close and the final score was somewhat deceiving.
“I’m very proud of (this team),” Mac coach Dustin Wheeler said. "I'm also very fortunate to have a group of young men who have such a strong passion for tennis and the work ethic it takes to be champions. They deserve this and we are very excited and ready for this weekend."
Mac is the No. 1 seed for the KCAC Postseason Tournament that starts Friday in Topeka and plays Southwestern in the first round. The Bulldogs are ranked No. 21 in the country.
• Singles •
1. Juan Mateus (B) vs. Joan-Marc Fajula (M) 6-7 (5-7), 1-3, unfinished
2. Ahmed Lahlou (M) def. Teodor Antelj (B) 6-3, 6-1
3. Hector Carrillo (M) def. Aaron Moses (B) 6-4, 6-3
4. Edward Sengai (B) vs. Juan Alejandro Jimenez (M) 5-5, unfinished
5. Alvaro Rengifo (B) vs. Nicolas Wahl (M) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
6. Conrad Mascarenhas (B) vs. Timo Hoelzmann (M) 4-6, 0-0, unfinished
• Doubles •
1. Joan-Marc Fajula/Hector Carrillo (M) def. Juan Mateus/Alvaro Rengifo (B) 8-6
2. Ahmed Lahlou/Nicolas Wahl (M) def. Edward Sengai/Conrad Mascarenhas (B) 8-5
3. Timo Hoelzmann/Juan Alejandro Jimenez (M) def. Aaron Moses/Teodor Antelj (B) 8-4