TOPEKA — As expected, McPherson College’s men’s tennis team blanked Southwestern 5-0 on Friday in the KCAC Tournament semifinals and will face Bethany at 2:00 today for the championship and right to advance to the national tournament in Mobile, Ala.
Mac won the three doubles matches against the Builders and then the first two singles matches to end the day early.
Bethany defeated Kansas Wesleyan 5-3 in the other semi. The postseason tournament determines which KCAC team advances to nationals. Mac, because of its No. 21 national ranking, could squeeze in as an at-large team with a loss, but it doesn’t want to leave anything to chance.
Mac and Bethany both made nationals last year, the Swedes as the at-large team and the Bulldogs as the tourney champion.
The Mac women are matched against Southwestern today in the championship match after routing Bethel 5-0. A story on that match was posted on Friday.
• Doubles •
1. Joan-Marc Fajula/Hector Carrillo (M) def. Sheldon Hawthorne/Tomas Yacuzio (S) 8-6
2. Ahmed Lahlou/Nicolas Wahl (M) def. Franco Poi/Javier Contreras (S) 8-1
3. Timo Hoelzmann/J.Alejandro Jimenez (M) def. Braden Baker/Brian Vancuren (S) 8-3
1. Joan-Marc Fajula (M) vs. Franco Poi (S) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
2. Ahmed Lahlou (M) vs. Tomas Yacuzio (S) 6-2, 2-0, unfinished
3. Hector Carrillo (M) def. Sheldon Hawthorne (S) 6-0, 6-2
4. J.Alejandro Jimenez (M) vs. Javier Contreras (S) 6-3, 1-0, unfinished
5. Nicolas Wahl (M) def. Braden Baker (S) 6-2, 6-0
6. Timo Hoelzmann (M) vs. Stephen Le (S) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished