McPherson High track and field coach Jace Pavlovich doesn’t put much stock in regional results, other than his performers qualifying.
He says a lot of factors can contribute to the wide range of times on the track and distances in the field events since regionals are contested at various sites in differing weather conditions. So what you see at the regional could be much different when the entire show moves to Wichita State for the state meet at Cessna Stadium this Friday and Saturday.
“It’s still always hard to tell where we will end up,” Pavlovich said. “There are so many variables such as the weather at each regional, how high the sand is in the pit to jump in in the horizontal jumping events, the mental and physical health of the athletes, etc. We actually ran into the wind in the sprints last Friday, which hurts our seeding a bit.”
The Bullpup girls were a regional team winner last week, but it’s a crapshoot how that will translate to this week.
Their chunk points figure to come in the jumps, though unfortunately defending state high jump champion Mandi Cooks injured her knee early in the season and won’t be able to defend her title.
Elle Barrett is the defending state champion in the long and triple jumps, but is ranked second in the triple going in and just sixth in the long jump. Kenzie Goering also has qualified in both of those events as she’s fourth in the triple and 10th in the long jump.
The 100 hurdles is where MHS could do some serious damage as Emma Ruddle is No. 1, Morgan Howard is No. 4 and Avery Howard is No. 11 for good measure. Another potential strength is the 4 x 100 as the Bullpups are No. 6, but the times are very close from first to sixth.
For the boys, Andric McGill is MHS’ best bet as he’s just 3 inches off the best mark in the long jump from last week. Tyson Stites is the only other individual to qualify and he’s eighth in the 110 hurdles. MHS also got in a 4 x 100 relay team that includes Stites, McGill, Talyn Huff and Jace Kinnamon.
Here are the MHS qualifiers, with the regional mark:
• Elle Barrett — long jump (17-5), triple jump (35-10)
• Kenzie Goering — 200 (27.92), long jump (16-9), triple jump (35-1)
• Emma Ruddle — 100 (12.97), 100 hurdles (15.07)
• Kamryn Collins — 400 (1:03.38)
• Megan Eisenbarth — discus (98-10)
• Morgan Howard — 100 hurdles (15.56)
• Avery Howard — 100 hurdles (16.28)
• 4 x 100 (Barrett, M. Howard, Ruddle and Rilynn Anderson), 50.56
• Tyson Stites — 110 hurdles (15.49),
• Andric McGill — long jump (21-6 1/4)
• 4 x 100 relay team — Stites, McGill, Talyn Huff and Jace Kinnamon (43.94)