WICHITA — Moundridge’s Jamya O’Quinn appears to have a good chance at some high state placings today in Class 2A at the Kansas State Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
O’Quinn blazed to qualifying finishes in the 100 and 200 prelims on Friday and helped the Wildcats’ 4 x 100 relay team qualify third. Other members are Josalyn O’Quinn, Ellika Ptacek and MaKayla Blair.
O’Quinn was second in the 200 in 25.99 and fifth in the 100 at 12.58.
Ptacek also advanced to today’s finals in the 300 hurdles (48.35).
Also for the Wildcats, Damian Calderon scored MHS’ first points of the meet by tying for fifth in the pole vault (12-6).
Dillon Vogts was ninth in the 3,200 (10:37.75), while the two boys relays teams did not make the Top 8. The 4 x 100 relay team was 5th and the 4 x 400 team was 16th.
Here’s how other area schools did:
• Canton-Galva – Maddie Snow qualified for the 2A finals in the 400 in 1:02.43. She did not advance to the finals in the 200 as she was 16th in 27.85.
Tia Moddelmog was ninth in the high jump (4-10) and competes today in the triple jump. She false started in the 200.
Dylan Wood was 11th in the 400 qualifier (53.72) and did not move on.
• Elyria Christian — Caleb Froese was 13th in the 1A triple jump, while the 4 x 100 relay team was 14th and the 4 x 400 relay team was 16th and didn’t advance. Froese, Jaden Starburg, Jackson Stone and Tyler Thiessen were on both teams.
• Hesston — Kylie Klassen was fourth in the 3A pole vault after clearing 10-6. Hunter Heddin placed sixth in the 3,200 in 10:17.35. Elise Kaiser qualified for the finals in the 400 with the sixth-best time (1:00.67).
Parker Roth finished 14th in he long jump.
The girls 4 x 400 relay team was 10th and the boys 4 x 100 relay team was 12th.
• Inman — Matt Ramey has a shot at 2A state gold as he qualified second in the 300 hurdles in 42.78. The 4 x 400 team was 12th and did not advance.
• Little River — The Redskins completed their day Friday as Bronson Rains was 14th in the 1A triple jump and Jonah Nelson was 14th in the discus. For the girls, Roylin Brillhart was 16th in the triple jump.
• Smoky Valley — Meredith Galloway made the finals in the 300 hurdles, placing 8th. Timmy Lambert competed in the 300 hurdles for boys and missed qualifying by one spot. Gracie Lott was 15th in the 3,200.