WICHITA — If there’s a word to best describe Hesston’s Zach Esau, it would be “competitor.”
Esau quarterbacked the Swathers to the Class 3A championship football game this fall, then was a standout guard for a highly successful Hesston basketball team.
On Saturday, he wrapped up his Swather athletic career by winning the 800 meters in the Class 3A Meet.
Esau’s competitive nature shined through as he rallied over the final 100 meters to finish in 2:00.16, just edging Trenton Worley of West Franklin, who ran 2:00.77.
Also for the Swathers, Parker Roth charged to a third-place finish in the 100 in 11.14.
The boys’ 4 x 800 relay team was fifth in 8:37.44, with team members including Jordyn Vogt, Chase McDonald, Reese Nebel and Esau.
Elise Kaiser finished seventh for the Swather girls in the 400 in 1:01.51. Lydia Enge competed in the discus, but fouled on her three attempts.
Here’s a look at how the other area teams fared on Saturday.
• Canton-Galva — The Eagles had two competitors in action. Maddie Snow was eighth in the 2A 400 in a time of 1:05.39 to medal, while Tia Moddelmog was 16th in the triple jump in 31-7 1/2.
• Inman — The 4 x 800 relay team had a great day by taking fourth in Class 2A in 8:29.31 with team members including Tyler Gordon, Nicholas Martisko, Ben Pankratz and Lucas Barlow.
Matt Ramey, just a freshman, finished fifth in the 300 hurdles in 42.32.
• Little River — Jonah Nelson competed in the 1A shot put and took seventh in 45-10 1/2.
• Moundridge — The Wildcats were a big mover on Saturday.
Jamya O’Quinn accounted for 12 points by taking third in the 2A 100 (12.49) and third in the 200 (25.71).
The girls 4 x 400 relay team of Ptacek, Jamya O’Quinn, Josalyn O’Quinn and MaKayla Blair was fifth in 51.18.
Alonso Paraiso was sixth in the 800 (2:02.08), Mason Dycik was sixth in the javelin (168-6) and Ellika Ptacek was seventh in the 300 hurdles (48.46).
• Smoky Valley — Logan Windholz placed fourth in the 1,600 in 4:9.75, while Meredith Galloway was sixth in the 300 hurdles in 48.62.