BUHLER — McPherson’s ninth-grade volleyball team made the most of its second chance.
After losing in straight sets to Hutchinson in pool play Saturday in the Buhler Invitational, MHS stayed the course and wound up meeting the Salthawks again for the title, this time winning in straight sets.
“Overall, I was really proud of the girls the last two games in bracket play,” said MHS coach Danica Fitzmorris, whose team is now 15-6 on the season. “They were so upbeat and we have worked really hard on our voices the past week. They used both voices, emotional/motivational and game knowledge.”
Here is a summary:
• Andale. MHS was a 25-22, 21-25, 15-9 winner. “We had great serving from Hope Wehrman and Hailey Henson as well as great serve receive from Taylor Casebeer. Overall our team passed the ball really well this game.”
• A 25-13, 25-21 success against Hesston. “Taylor Casebeer, Lexi Kynaston and Hailey Henson all served well and Taylor again was spot-on with her serve receive,” Fitzmorris said.
• A 23-25, 21-25 loss to Hutchinson. “This was the only game we lost all day,” Fitzmorris said. “We struggled with serve receive and difficulty with errors on our side of the net. Hutch did a good job of keeping up guessing with deep hits and short tips.”
• A 22-25, 25-19, 15-10 comeback win over Buhler. “We moved into the Gold Bracket for tourney play. In the semifinals it was Buhler first. It took three sets, but we upset the home team with a win.”
• A 25-20, 25-20 avenge of Hutchinson. “We had our second chance at Hutch in the finals. We had great serving from our entire crew. Again Hope, Hailey and Lexi were standouts. We again had great serve receive from Taylor and won in two.”
The Bullpups head to El Dorado Thursday.