WICHITA — Nine members of the McPherson Aqua Pups competed this past weekend in the Legends Invitational.
Teams from all around the state took part, along with a couple of teams from Oklahoma.
“The competition level was among the highest we have seen so far this season,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “It was really kind of like that feeling of being a small fish in a really big pond, but it didn't seem to faze our swimmers at all.”
Here are the McPherson finishers and their performances in Banman’s words:
• Gracie Bohnenblust (8) — competed in her first-ever meet, with a top finish of 12th in the 25 Fly. She also raced the 25 Free and 50 Back.
• Rachel Fischer (8) — placed in the Top 8 in all four of her events: 3rd on 25 Fly, 2nd on 50 Breast, 5th on 50 Back and 3rd on 100 IM
• Arriana Gross (13) — swam the 200 Freestyle for the first time.
• Justus Hampton (16) — in a tuneup for the high school season, competed in the 200 Back (top finish of 11th), 200 Breast and 200 Free.
• Kierstan Trost (13) — Had a breakout meet, cutting time on all six of her events. Her top finish was 10th on the 100 Fly (5.28 off to 1:15.91), she also went sub-30 for the first time on 50 Freestyle at 29.16. And on top of that, she added another District Qualifying time on her 200 IM at 2:45.30.
• Jordan Vanderhoof (12) — She also cut time on all of her races, biggest of which was a 7.3 improvement on 100 Free to 1:39.00.
•Rhys Vanderhoof (14) — In his final meet before his first high school swim season, went 3-for-3 on best times with a top finish of 10th on the 100 Free (which was also the first time he's gone sub-60, with a time of 59.45).
• Hazel Wuertz (9) — Had a top finish of 18th on the 50 Breast and she also earned her second District Qualifier with her 100 Breast swim at 1:57.61.
• Vincent Wuertz (8) — Cracked the Top 8 on 50 Breast with a 7th-place finish.