WICHITA — The McPherson Aqua Pups returned to the pool this past weekend at the Winter Qualifier, hosted by the Wichita Aqua Shocks.
“As the name suggests, there was a bit on the line at this one, as this meet was the last opportunity for kiddos to qualify for the "mid-way point championships,” the Midwest Winter Classic, coming up next weekend at the Wichita Swim Club,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “Swimmers have to either earn a USA "A" Time, or take 1st or 2nd in an event at the Qualifier in order to earn a spot at the Classic and we had a few do just that.”
Here is a summary, as reported by Banman:
• Claire Schmidt cut time in all seven of her events and placed in the Top 10 in each. With that she earned two automatic qualifiers for the Winter Classic with her 1st place finish in the 100 Breast, and 2nd place in 50 Breast. She also added the 200 Free District time to her collection in her first time swimming the event.
• Kierstan Trost cut time in four of her six events, and earned an automatic qualifier for the Winter Classic with her 2nd place finish on the 100 Free. She also took 3rd in both the 50 Free and 200 IM.
• Danica Brunk took 5th overall on both 50 and 100 Free. She has secured a spot in the Winter Classic meet based on her 100 Free swim at summer Districts where she earned the USA "A" Long Course time.
• Other Highlights •
• Gracie Bohnenblust swam just her second-ever meet, competing in the 50 Free and 100 Back.
• Rachel Fischer cut 1.67 on her 50 Back and swam the 50 Fly for the first time in Short Course and earned the District time on both swims. She also took 5th overall on the 100 Breast.
• Nethmi Hewawitharana dropped 1.67 in the 50 Back, and swam the 50 Fly for the first time in Short Course.
• Bree Pickerell cut 2.72 in the 50 Back, and swam the 100 Breast for the first time and earned Districts on both swims.
• Adyson Wiens dropped 8.26 in the 100 Free, 2.5 in the 50 Free and then earned a New/First Time on the 100 IM.
• Jordan Vanderhoof went 3 for 3 on best/new times with a huge 19.2 cut in the 100 Breast, 8.83 in the 50 Back and competed in 50 Fly for the first time.
• Hazel Wuertz dropped 2.0 on her 50 Back to go under 50 seconds for the first time in the event.