The McPherson County Historical Society will meet onSaturday, Feb. 3 at 2 p.m. at the McPherson Museum & Arts Foundation for “History of The Cedars”.
LeRoy Weddle worked at The Cedars for 24 years and retired as CEO in 2003. LeRoy will be using both historic and current photos to present a chronological history of the development of The Cedars. The presentation will include The Cedars move to Kansas Avenue in McPherson in 1951, and the development of the current campus on Cedars Drive.
Born in 1941 and raised near Bloom, Kansas, LeRoy graduated from Bloom High School in 1959. LeRoy continued his education at McPherson College playing football, basketball and tennis all four years. He graduated in 1963 with a bachelors degree in Business Administration. After graduation, LeRoy farmed with his dad for three years before heading to Bethany Seminary in Oak Brook, Illinois. Graduating from Bethany Theological Seminary in 1970 with a Master of Divinity he became the Pastor of Peoria Church of the Brethren, Peoria, IL from 1970-1974. In 1975, he moved back to Kansas and became the Pastor of Community Church of the Brethren in Hutchinson, KS from 1975-1979. LeRoy then joined The Cedars as Personnel Director in 1980, was named Administrator in 1984 and became the first CEO in 1988. After retirement in 2003 from The Cedars he served as Executive Director of Progressive Healthcare Alliance from 2004 to July 2010 when he retired again.
LeRoy and Carolyn Weddle have 4 children, 6 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. Please join the McPherson County Historical Soceity for the presentation of “The History of The Cedars”.
All historical society programs are open to the public and are free of charge.