SALINA — The McPherson Aqua Pups came back from more than a month off feeling refreshed as they competed at Salina and turned in some quality times.
“It was great to get back to competition this weekend in Salina,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “We had some great time drops and finishes, some new district qualifiers and I just could tell the kids were having fun with this one. The Salina meets always have such a special team feel to them and they again didn't disappoint.”
Riley Gard and Sam Madden swam in their first-ever meets. Here are the highlights as listed by Banman:
• Rachel Fischer - Went 6 for 6 on best times, and took 2nd on 100 Breast, then had a trio of 3rd place finishes on 50 Fly, 50 Back and 50 Breast.
• Nethmi Hewawitharana - Dropped time in 5 of her 6 events, and had a top finish of 4th on 50 Breast.
• Gracy Hubbard - Swam her first short course 100 Yard events, taking 5th on 100 Breast and 6th on 100 Free.
• Jensen Mierkiewicz - earned the District cut on 100 Free with a 3.5 sec drop to 1:08.73 (taking 2nd), and she also improved her 50 Free Distric time to 30.79.
• Bree Pickerell - Went 6 for 6 on best times, adding District cuts on 50 Breast (50.66, and 4th place), and 50 Fee (34.59 and 1st place).
• Claire Schmidt - Finished in the Top 3 in all of her events (taking 1st on 100 Back), and went 6 for 7 on best times. She also added another District time on 50 Fly with a 6.41 drop to 43.94.
• Olivia Smolik - Had a top finish of 7th on 100 Breast, and she cut 11.14 on her 50 free in leading off the B Free Relay.
• Kierstan Trost - Posted a pair of 1st place finishes on 200 IM and 200 Free, and took 2nd on 50 Free.
• Jordan Vanderhoof - Cut 3.31 on 100 Back, and 1.58 on 100 Free.
• Adyson Wiens - Dropped 2.39 on 50 Breast, and 1.08 on 50 Back in leading off the Medley Relay.
• Hazel Wuertz - Earned the 50 Free District time with a .95 cut to 39.24. She also dropped 11.66 on 100 IM and took 2nd in the event and took 1st on 200 Free.
The team is at Wichita this weekend.