WICHITA — The McPherson Aqua Pups took a small contingent to the Wichita Aqua Freeze Invitational this weekend.
“We were a small, but mighty, crew this weekend for the Aqua Freeze in Wichita,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “This was definitely a different level of competition, but the kids still went out and took care of business.”
Here are the highlights, according to Banman in his own words:
• Rachel Fischer — cut 7.07 on the 100 IM, took B-Division 5th on the 50 Breast and special congrats to her for tackling the 100 Fly for the first time (the first 10 and under Aqua Pup girls swimmer to try the event in my tenure as coach).
• Bree Pickerell — in an "it's been a while" swim, dropped 24.2 on the 100 IM and earned the District cut for the event. She also had a nice 2.93 drop on 50 Back, and took C-Division 1st on 50 Breast.
• Claire Schmidt — Earned the Champ-Bonus cut on 50 Free at 34.36 and took B-Division 5th. She also too C-Division 1st on 50 Fly, and B-Division 4th on the 200 Free.
• Jordan Vanderhoof — went 3 for 4 on best times, including a very solid 8.88 drop on the 100 IM.
• And kudos to Megan Cutting competing with the (Wichita) Aqua Shocks this weekend. She had a trio of B-Division 3rd-place finishes on the 400 IM, 100 Breast, and 200 Fly.
Cutting is a member of the McPherson High swim team.
The Aqua Pups head to Wichita again this weekend.