7th-grade football team wins third straight

By Steve Sell
September 28, 2018

SALINA — McPherson’s seventh-grade boys have brushed off an 0-2 start to their football season as their 37-6 rout of Salina South on Thursday was their third straight win.

“As a coaching staff we couldn't have been more proud of the way our guys played today,” Bullpup coach Brandt Busse said. “We had some big penalties that cost us some big plays, but we did not let that stop us. We bounced right back and made bigger plays. The offensive line really stepped up today and allowed our offense to compile some big yards. We look to keep capitalizing on that momentum when we head to Junction City next week.”

Busse liked how his team attacked the South defense.

“Offensively we were well-balanced today with just over 200 yards in both the air and on the ground,” he said. “(Jayce) Schriner rushed for 110 yards on the ground with (Drew) Waner adding 84 yards to the mix, which included a 70-yard touchdown run. (Kreighton) Kanitz threw for over 200 yards and had 3 passing touchdowns. (Jayvn) Alexander led the way with 179 yards receiving and a touchdown. Schriner caught the other 2 touchdown passes.”

The MMS defense also was airtight.

“Defensively we were outstanding again this week,” Busse said. “So many guys swarming to the ball and making plays for us. (Eli) Clarke led the way with 5 tackles and Alexander added 4  tackles with an interception. (Blaise) Hoover added a pick-6 late in the game when he made an amazing read on a ball and jumped the passing lane.”

The B-team ended in a 6-6 tie with Owen Pyle throwing to Leyton Witte for MMS’ score.   

“This was a hard-fought game today for our guys,” Busse said. “Defensively our guys really did a great job of stopping the opposing offense. We had guys stepping up and making some big tackles. As a coaching staff we love seeing improvement from our players and they really showed that today. Offensively we had some really big plays which was great to see. The whole game was a shutout both ways until South got on the board in the beginning of the fourth quarter. Our guys never gave up and answered by marching the ball down the field on the next drive capping it off with a 50-yard touchdown pass from Pyle to Witte. We were extremely proud of the way our guys fought today.”