WICHITA — The return of Zane Richter proved to be an elixir for the McPherson High boys swimming team on Saturday.
Richter, who missed the season opener because of illness, provided the missing piece to the puzzle as the Bullpups brought home a passel of honors and qualified for state in four events in the Wichita Northwest Invitational.
The highlights included:
• The medley relay team, as Richter swam the backstroke leg to join Eric Gaeddert, Kyler Jost and Ryen Trost. The team turned in a 1:54.2, 2 seconds better than the state qualifying standard.
• The 200 freestyle relay team, with the same quartet, blistered the water in 1:39.67, also about 2 seconds to the good in terms of qualifying.
• Richter made state in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:20.8.
• Gaeddert moves on to the state meet in the 100 freestyle, as his 53.61 was an incredible 7 seconds better than his best time. He was third in the event and was third in the 50 freestyle.
Other medal winners were Jost (4th in the 100 butterfly, 7th in the 50 freestyle) and Spencer Steinert (8th in the 200 freestyle).
“This is always a good meet for our boys and this year was no different,” MHS coach Bonnie Sue Fisher said. “We came away with four state qualifying times and an envelope of medals. The competition is always good at this meet and the pool facility at the Northwest Y in Wichita is fantastic. Team-wise, we only ended up sixth out of 10 schools, but the majority of those schools are Division I and Division II. The only team that beat us in our league was Rose Hill.”
• Dalyn Chapman — 24th in 50 freestyle (32.3).
• Eric Gaeddert — 3rd in 50 freestyle (24.27); 3rd in 100 freestyle (53.61).
• Max Howe — 16th in 200 freestyle (2:34.21); 13th in 100 backstroke (1:20.41).
• Kyler Jost — 7th in 50 freestyle (25.07); 4th in 100 butterfly (1:02.7).
• Jurit Obenluenschloss — 33rd in 50 freestyle (39.58); 10th in 100 breaststroke (1:17.9).
• Zane Richter — 6th in 200 individual medley (2:20.8); 7th in 100 freestyle (57.17).
• Spencer Steinert — 8th in 200 freestyle (2:22.41); 14th in 100 freestyle (1:02.94).
• Ryen Trost — 20th in 200 freestyle (2:49.99); 12th in 100 freestyle (1:02.65).