HASTINGS, Neb. — The McPherson College women’s tennis team, now at full strength after being short-handed in its opener, made the trek north to take on Hastings College on Saturday and made quick work of the Broncos, 9-0.
In doubles, MC came out of the gate fast and took a commanding 3-0 lead by sweeping both No. 1 and No. 2, 8-0. Hastings had to forfeit No. 3 doubles.
In singles, it was all Bulldogs again as McPherson rolled through each match. Nichole Vorhess (Riverside, Calif.) gave the Bulldogs the deciding point with her convincing win at No. 2, 6-0, 6-2. Teammate Emma Sheehan (Fullerton, Calif.) followed suit with her impressive 6-1, 6-1 win. Junior Brooke Vorhess (Riverside, Calif.) had the toughest match of the day, staving off illness and a feisty opponent to claim her singles match 6-2, 6-4 and complete the sweep for the Bulldogs.
"This was a very good showing for our team and I'm quite pleased with how we improved our execution overall from last week," Mac coach Jeff Benito said. "The girls handled the adverse condition of only playing on two courts well and took care of business."
Next up for Mac is a busy weekend with Stephens College on Saturday and Barton County on Sunday.
1) Emma Sheehan (Mac) def. Elizabeth Harlow (HC) 6-1, 6-1
2) Nikki Vorhees (Mac) def. Whitney Bridger (HC) 6-0, 6-2
3) Brooke Vorhees (Mac) def. Bailey Christy (HC) 6-2, 6-4
4) Brittany Gourlay (Mac) def. Abigail Schmitz (HC) 6-1, 6-0
5) Claire Crossman (Mac) def. Marissa Avoles (HC) 6-0, 6-0
6) Kara Wright (Mac) def. Alexis Parder (HC) Default
Order of finish: 6, 2*, 1, 5, 4, 3
1) B. Vorhees/N. Vorhees (Mac) def. Harlow/Bridger (HC) 8-0
2) E. Sheehan/B. Gourlay (Mac) def. Christy/Schmitz (HC) 8-0
3) K. Wright/A. Allmon (Mac) def. M. Avoles/A. Parde (HC) Default
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2