McPherson High spring sports will be here before you know it.
On Monday, March 24, the coaching staffs of the seven MHS spring sports are inviting parents to attend practice sites for a team preview, parent meeting and fun interactive activities that showcase what each sport is all about.
• Baseball — First-year coach Steve Williams invites parents to observe practice from 4 to 6 p.m. at Grant Complex. At 6 p.m., the team will enjoy a cookout and coaches will conduct a parent meeting with a Q-and-A session.
• Golf — MHS coach Kurt Kinnamon will be at Turkey Creek at 5:30 p.m. Numerous golf activities will take place and there should be fun for all. A golf rules test, developed by KSHSAA, will be given to test your knowledge.
• Girls soccer — Parents, be at MHS’ soccer practice field at 5:30 p.m. Coach Chris Adrian has a number of soccer-related activities plans, such as PK shootouts. A parents meeting will outline expectations of the program.
• Softball — First-year coach Danica Fitzmorris has many interesting activities planned at 5:30 p.m. at Grant Complex. Parents can watch practice, take batting practice and even snag a few grounds and fly balls. She’ll outline the goals of the program.
• Girls swimming – Bonnie Sue Fisher invites all parents to be at the Y from 4 to 5:30 p.m. to watch the girls in the pool, then everyone will adjourn to her house at 516 S. Walnut, with ice cream being served as well as trivia games being played. Should be a lot of fun for all.
• Boys tennis — Tyler Brown has scheduled a hot dot and hamburger cookout at 5:30 p.m. at the MHS Tennis Complex. Parents can get out on the court and volley with their kids.
• Track and field — Jace Pavlovich has the largest squad of all and parents can watch a mock meet beginning at 3:45 p.m. at McPherson Stadium. Parents can take part as timers as well as measuring marks in field events.
Those with questions about any of the events can call MHS Athletic Director Shane Backhus at 241-9510 during school hours.