ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – The McPherson College women’s tennis team outlasted Missouri Western 5-4 in recent action.
In doubles, the Bulldogs’ top two duos made quick work of their opponents giving McPherson the 2-0 lead. At the top doubles position, sisters Brooke and Nichole Vorhees were able to outclass their opponents to take an 8-3 victory while teammates Emma Sheehan and Brittany Gourlay at the No. 2 doubles position rolled to an 8-1 victory. With the Lady Griffons taking the point at No. 3 doubles, the Bulldogs went into singles play with a 2-1 lead.
The top half of the singles lineup for the Bulldogs really came through. Nichole Vorhess found herself with a slow start and a controversial scoring issue before settling down to focus and get MC their first point in singles with her 1-6, 6-0, 10-6 victory. At No. 1 singles, Sheehan played steady and determined and took care of her opponent 6-3, 6-4 while teammate Brooke. Vorhess was able to cruise in her second set after a trying first set to give the Bulldogs the point and the match.
"I think this was a good warm up for us before we head to California," Mac coach Jeff Benito said. "There, we won't be facing any teams that will be giving us any free points. We'll have to earn everything there and I think we are ready."
McPherson College 5, Missouri Western State University 4
1) Emma Sheehan (Mac) def. Kayla Dysart (MWSU) 6-3, 6-4
2) Nichole Vorhees (Mac) def. Meara Smith (MWSU) 1-6, 6-0, 10-6
3) Brooke Vorhees (Mac) def. Denise Chaio (MWSU) 6-3, 6-0
4) Ceara Boldridge (MWSU) def. Brittany Gourlay (Mac) 6-2, 3-6, 10-4
5) Lindsay Beger (MWSU) def. Claire Crossman (Mac) 3-6, 7-6, 10-8
6) Alyssa Duegan (MWSU) def. Kara Wright (Mac) 6-1, 6-3
1) B. Vorhees/N. Vorhees (Mac) def. M. Smith/C. Boldridge (MWSU) 8-3
2) Sheehan/Gourlay (Mac) def. Chaio/Beger (MWSU) 8-1
3) Dysart/Deugan (MWSU) def. Allmon/Wright (Mac) 8-2