McPherson College’s women’s tennis team routed Tabor College 8-1 here Saturday in the first KCAC match of the season.
Mac started the day off by sweeping the doubles matches against the Bluejays. The No. 3 doubles pair of Chandler Short and Kara Wright picked up their first shutout of the season and started theBulldogs off with their match win. Dropping only five games total, the Bulldogs took a commanding 3-0 lead into singles play.
Mac had to remain focused and determined in singles as the Kansas wind started to pick up and theBulldogs took five of the six singles matches.
Top player Emma Sheehan cruised in the first set, but had to come from behind in the second to take out her opponent 6-2, 6-4. Brooke Vorhess shook off a slow start to eventually overtake her opponent 6-4, 6-1 while sister Nichole Vorhess stayed one step ahead of her opponent to score a 6-3, 6-3. Brittany Gourlay had little trouble for the Bulldogs, defeating her opponent without dropping a game. Claire Crossman (Orange, Calif.) had to come from behind in the first set and eventually ran away with the match against her opponent 7-5, 6-2.
The Bulldogs host county rival Bethany today at the McPherson High Tennis Complex.
McPherson College 8, Tabor College 1
1) Emma Sheehan (Mac) def. Becky Faber (TC) 6-2, 6-4
2) Nikki Vorhees (Mac) def. Anna Friesen (TC) 6-3, 6-3
3) Brooke Vorhees (Mac) def. Celeste Worthy (TC) 6-4, 6-1
4) Brittany Gourlay (Mac) def. Krista Schmidt (TC) 7-5, 6-2
5) Claire Crossman (Mac) def. Karly Lindroth-Yates (TC) 7-5, 6-2
6) Kiana Fujioka (TC) def. Ashley Allmon (Mac) 6-0, 6-4
1) B. Vorhees/N. Vorhees (Mac) def. Faber/Lindroth-Yates (TC) 8-2
2) Sheehan/Gourlay (Mac) def. Friesen/Nachtigal (TC) 8-3
3) Chandler Short/Kara Wright (Mac) def. Schmidt/Fujioka (TC) 8-0