EL DORADO — Ellen Yowell came away with McPherson High’s lone medal Saturday in the AVCTL Swimming Championships.
Yowell dropped her best time in the 200 freestyle by 5 seconds and that gave her third place in the meet.
MHS was having to swim without its Smoky Valley members, since the Vikings are not part of the AVCTL.
The Bullpups’ Katie Wurm had a monster day, as she has added state qualifying times in the 200 individual medley and 100 backstroke.
Another highlight was the 200 medley relay team of Yowell, Wurm, Amanda Starkel and Kellsie Corrigan qualifying for state with a time of 2:10.03.
“I could not have been prouder of all the girls,” MHS coach Bonnie Sue Fisher said. “Everyone swam their heart out and the results were best times and state qualifying times all over the place. It is wonderful to see them race when they are rested and tapered and for them to continue to build confidence in themselves. The hard part is having to split with the Smoky Valley girls since we are down to league championships and state. Claire Denk and Shea Cook are both having to hold off their best swims for another week when we go to Topeka since they are not officially in our league.”
Here are the Bullpup state entries for Friday and Saturday, according to Fisher:
• 200 medley relay: Wurm, Starkel, Corrigan, Yowell
• 200 freestyle: Wurm, Yowell
• 200 individual medley: Both Wurm and Denk have qualified, but may choose other events
• 50 freestyle: Denk, Wurm and Cook
• 100 freestyle: Yowell, Denk and Cook
• 200 freestyle relay: Yowell, Lindsey Moore, Corrigan and Wurm
• 100 backstroke: Wurm
• 400 freestyle relay: Starkel, Olivia Hansen, Corrigan and Yowell