The school year begins in McPherson this week!
The McPherson KS Police Department offers the following reminders for a safe and successful school day commute:
1. BE AWARE! Children will be walking, cycling & skating to school.
2. SLOW your speed around our schools! McPherson has many 20mph speed zones for school and construction. Some are designated by special yellow wink-o-matic traffic controls & are enforced during a certain time of day (S. Main, N. Main, E. First, E. Kansas, E. Euclid and W. Avenue A). Other 20mph zones are not machine-controlled & some are in force at all times –be watchful! Fines double in a school or construction zone. $135 is the MINIMUM fine for a speed violation.
3. YIELD to pedestrians at ALL crosswalks & intersections.
4. OBSERVE parking areas, traffic flow & signage around each school you visit or pass –many elementary lots have changed this year. Then, plan your commute accordingly –avoiding some areas, parking at a safe walking distance, etc.
5. BUCKLE yourself & your student(s) in the appropriate car seat, booster, or seat belt & be a good example! CLICK IT or TICKET!
6. DISCUSS bicycle safety with your student(s). Be sure each child knows his/her name, phone number & address.
7. DRESS your student(s) in layers, so s/he can remove or add clothing as quickly as the weather changes. Light or bright clothing, shoes, backpacks, & jackets with reflective fabrics are best & make pedestrians easy to see –especially while walking in the dimly lit early hours. Provide HELMETS for students who are cycling or skating to school.
8. PETS may be a hazard or temptation for passing school children. Be sure your pets are kenneled or inside before & after school hours. Dogs running at large continue to be a problem. All pedestrians (especially our youth) appreciate responsible pet owners!
As always, if you SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.
MPD encourages our community to REPORT unusual or suspicious activity & concerns –or praise ANYTIME in person or by calling (620)245-1200. In any emergency dial 911!