Perhaps Fearless Forecaster should have consulted with old friend Deon Durst before making his predictions last week.
When last week’s games were posted, Deon — who hails from Moundridge — immediately let FF know that he had missed the boat on the matchup up of nationally ranked teams Tabor and Missouri Valley. Fearless picked it close, going with Mo Valley.
Both were Top 10 teams going into the game and Missouri Valley was home. But it was all Bluejays as they were the KCAC’s most impressive team in the second KCAC-Heart of America Challenge Series that went 8-2 in favor of the Heart.
Fearless’ miss on Tabor was one of six on the weekend, as a so-so 13-6 record has left him at a lackluster 27-11 on the season, well below his normal standards.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• McPherson 35, Augusta 21 — It’s not the gimme win that had been anticipated at the start of the year. The Bullpups must be focused from the get-go and not give Augusta the notion it can keep MHS winless.
• Buhler 41, Winfield 24 – The Crusaders showed signs of their old selves last week.
• Rose Hill 21, El Dorado 12 — Not quite sure what to make of El Dorado. After upsetting Mulvane the first week on a last-second field goal, the Wildcats flatlined against Augusta.
• Last week — 3-1. Season — 6-4.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Canton-Galva 36, Burrton 14 — This is one of the games the Eagles have to win if they want to finish above .500.
• Trinity Catholic 35, Inman 6 — An undefeated 3A school against a winless 2A school. Not much to think about here.
• Smoky Valley 24, Haven 14 — The Vikings improve to 2-1.
• Hesston 52, Sterling 6 — The margin is whatever Hesston coach Clint Rider decides he wants it to be.
• Moundridge 13, Bennington 12 — Call this a hunch. Should be a defensive slugfest.
• Peabody 42, Little River 35 — Easily the best game of the night. My source tells me Peabody is simply loaded.
• Last week — 4-1. Season — 8-2.
• KCAC •
• McPherson College 31, Bethel 17 — The Bulldogs open KCAC play successfully with the first win in the Steve Fox era.
• Ottawa 40, Bethany 24 — The Braves are just so methodical on offense. The Swedes are still a mystery as they have played two quarterbacks in two weeks.
• Tabor 31, Saint Mary 7 — The Bluejays take their shiny new No. 4 national ranking on the road and defend it successfully.
• Southwestern 31, Kansas Wesleyan 30 — Before the season I would have said the Moundbuilders in convincing fashion, but they haven’t been quite as strong as I thought they would be.
• Friends 21, Sterling 19 — Always a slugfest between these teams. Friends doesn’t lose very often at home.
Last week — 6-4. Season — 13-5.