Fearless Forecaster thought he was turning the corner.
FF was 8-1 last Friday night, the only loss coming when he picked Moundridge to outlast Bennington. The Wildcats had the lead in the game, only to be overtaken by the Bulldogs at the end.
Then came the KCAC games on Saturday.
There’s not enough towels to wipe off all the egg that was on Fearless’ face after he picked four of the five games incorrectly on what was the first week of conference play. Of course Bethany’s upset of Ottawa was one nobody outside of the Swedes’ locker room expected. And few McPherson College fans could have seen such an abysmal result against Bethel coming. FF also picked Friends to edge Sterling, which went the other way by the narrowest of margins, while Southwestern has let our picker down twice this year to land on his double-secret probation list.
By finishing 9-5, Fearless is now just 36-16 on the year (69 percent) and needs to put it in overdrive if he’s to remain as one of the picking kingpins.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• McPherson 35, Rose Hill 24 — The Bullpups should be able to put up plenty of points, but can their pass defense shut down the Rockets’ Brett Bonar?
• Buhler 48, Augusta 14 — I really liked how hard Augusta played last week, but there is way too much of a differential in talent level.
• Winfield 42, El Dorado 7 — It’s time for Winfield to start living up to its preseason hype.
• Last week — 3-0. Season — 9-4.
McPHERSON AREA •
• Canton-Galva 34, Word of Life 24 — Word of Life is 3-0, but I don’t think it has played a team of substance.
• Remington 12, Inman 7 — The Teutons can’t seem to get anything going offensively.
• Trinity Catholic 34, Moundridge 7 — The Wildcats want to get through this game injury-free since the big showdown with arch-rival Inman is next week.
• Smoky Valley 28, Halstead 21 — Can anybody stop Viking quarterback Cole Norberg on the option?
• Hesston 56, Lyons 12 — A 4-0 start for the Swathers.
• Udall 34, Little River 32 — Udall is big and powerful, which could give the Redskins a lot of problems.
• Last week — 5-1. Season — 11-3.
• KCAC •
• Kansas Wesleyan 21, McPherson College 14 —The Bulldogs simply can’t get anything going on offense.
• Bethany 37, Saint Mary 24 — A 2-0 KCAC start for the revitalized Swedes.
• Ottawa 56, Bethel 14 — The Threshers are in the wrong place at the wrong time as the Braves are seething after losing to Bethany.
• Friends 21, Southwestern 7 — The Falcons are also hot under the collar after losing a close call to Sterling.
• Tabor 27, Sterling 20 — Easily the best game of the night. Tabor is now ranked No. 3 in the country.
• Last week — 1-4. Season — 14-9.