MHS kickers lose to Rose Hill in shortened game

By Steve Sell
October 01, 2014

Like oil and water, McPherson High’s soccer team and lightning don’t mix.

The Bullpups’ game last week with Augusta was postponed because of the potent electrical charges in the air.

On Tuesday at McPherson Stadium, the Bullpups and No. 1-ranked Rose Hill renewed their spirited rivalry, with the Rockets leading 2-0 at the half. Three minutes into the second half, the game was called when the bolts lit up the sky.

That, of course, was a great disappointment to the Bullpups and coach Chris Adrian, who saw their record fall to 4-4-1, with three of the losses by just one goal.

School officials had waited 30 minutes, but it was evident the lightning wasn’t going away and the radar indicated a bigger front coming, which it did later.

“We can hang with the No. 1 team in the state,” Adrian said of his assessment of the night. “I think that’s what I take out of it the most.”

The Bullpups surrendered a goal to Chance Beckham just 4:53 into the game. It appeared it was going to be a 1-0 count at the half, but Beckham scored his second goal with just 1:06 remaining before the break.

“Our back line right now is a little bit disorganized,” said Adrian, whose team was missing speedy freshman sensation Darrius Armstrong, out with a knee injury suffered against Hutchinson that will cause him to miss at a minimum of  two weeks. “They had speed and we didn’t.”

Rose Hill was second in Class 4-1A last year, while the Bullpups were third. Adrian noted the Rockets returned far more players than MHS, but he believes his young team is making strides and hopes to be a force by the time postseason play rolls along.

“I thought we actually had some really good looks on the counter attack,” Adrian said. “We’re just missing the target still. We’ve got to start scoring some goals.”

The Bullpups have Thursday off as they don’t play again until next Tuesday when they host Junction City.

MHS lost the JV game 3-1, with Trey Hett scoring the Bullpup goal.