What Fearless Forecaster thought was his surest pick last week turned into his only loss.
Tabor College, which entered last Saturday ranked No. 3 in the nation, was expected to remain unbeaten against Southwestern, which not only was 0-4 but coming off a dreadful, uninspiring loss to Friends.
So Fearless, as well as anybody else who follows KCAC football, was floored when Southwestern used a huge fourth quarter to run away 27-6 from the Bluejays, who now have two inexplicable losses in two seasons. Last year they were stunned at home by Bethany, which turned out to be the Swedes’ only KCAC win.
Fearless’ 13-1 week energized his season as his record is now 60-19, which is still sub-standard in his mind.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• McPherson 30, Winfield 21 – Perhaps no team has been more difficult to figure than Winfield. It barely beat El Dorado — which MHS led by 46 points at halftime last week — then suffered an ignominious 56-0 loss last week to Silver Lake, though it was missing some of its top players due to discipline issues. Yet everybody tells me the Vikings are a decent football team, provided they have their full complement of players.
• Buhler 62, El Dorado 6 — Another long night for the Wildcats.
• Rose Hill 20, Augusta 14 — Really tough one. Rose Hill played as stout of defense as MHS has seen all season. Augusta gave the Bullpups a good game. Should be high competitive.
• Last week — 4-0. Season — 16-4
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Canton-Galva 34, Solomon 32 — Solomon either blows out teams or gets blown out. This should be its first close game either way.
• Sacred Heart 24, Inman 6 — The Teutons simply can’t get much going offensively this season.
• Hoisington 21, Smoky Valley 14 — This promises to be a slugfest. Hoisington has opened some eyes with its 4-1 start.
• Moundridge 13, Medicine Lodge 6 — The Wildcats have a shot at back-to-back wins for the first time this year.
• Central Plains 52, Little River 12 — Nobody has stopped Central Plains this year, but at least the Redskins might slow it down.
• Hesston 34, Pratt 13 — Former Bethany College coach Jamie Cruce has a Pratt team that plays good defense, but it hasn’t faced a team like the Swathers.
• Last week — 5-0. Season — 23-4.
• KCAC •
• Friends 31, McPherson College 24 — The Bulldogs are tired of moral victories, but this may be another.
• Bethany 42, Southwestern 21 — Perfect timing for the Swedes. They are hopping mad after giving one away to Sterling and Southwestern is bound to be flat after upsetting Tabor.
• Sterling 30, Bethel 13 — The Warriors’ title hopes stay alive.
• Tabor 45, Kansas Wesleyan 14 — The Coyotes are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
• Ottawa 45, Saint Mary 38 — The team with the ball last might just win.
• Last week — 4-1. Season — 21-11.